TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rechrome hood badges 1300
blue65 Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:40 am

Hi. I've got a 1960s era Beetle - I've got this rear engine lid badge that says 1300. It looks aluminum - the color now looks like dirty aluminum.

I could polish it up - but I want the shiny chrome look to it to match the rest of the car.

I'm wondering whether there is a place which can chrome the badge?

I live in Melbourne Australia.

raygreenwood Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:58 am

blue65 wrote: Hi. I've got a 1960s era Beetle - I've got this rear engine lid badge that says 1300. It looks aluminum - the color now looks like dirty aluminum.

I could polish it up - but I want the shiny chrome look to it to match the rest of the car.

I'm wondering whether there is a place which can chrome the badge?

I live in Melbourne Australia.

A while back I did a little reading on chrome plating aluminum. Many plating shops do it
But.....aluminum has to be zincated or zinc plated in order to accept chrome in an electroppate process.

Also some publications noted that because aluminum is soft...chrome plated aluminum can be susceptible to egg shell cracking of the plate.

Personally......I would put a high polish on it...wash well, dry quickly and put a hard clear coat on it....then bake it and polish the clear to a high gloss. Ray

blue65 Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:59 am

egg shell cracking? that might explain why the "DELUXE" badge is cracking.

raygreenwood Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:39 am

blue65 wrote: egg shell cracking? that might explain why the "DELUXE" badge is cracking.

Its not really a cracking of the aluminum. Its a cracking and sponginess of the outer chrome layer.
Ray