TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: sw racecars 10 point roll cage
kai.scott98 Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:55 am

First off, not sure if this is in the right category, but not sure what it should be in.
So, mum says that before i can drive my bug i need a roll cage, or i gotta get a volvo, and i aint doing that, so i found one on sw racecars: https://www.swracecars.com/store/Volkswagen-Beetle...-5550.aspx
i wondered if anyone one here bought one and can tell me how well it goes in, is it bolt in, does it come in parts, does it go in front of the dash or behind, do i have to cut or modify anything to get it in?

thanks in advance

jensend Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:11 am

Roll bars and cages are generally a bad idea for cars driven regularly on the street. Realize that you are adding solid steel tubing inside the passenger compartment close to the occupants where it was not part of the original design. Even with proper padding you are placing solid, immovable barriers where you are likely to contact with in a crash or rollover. This is far riskier than driving the car with seat belts and its factory upholstery.

Roll bars and cages are meant to be used in conjunction with seat harnesses to hold you securely in place and helmets to minimize impact damage (often from impact with the bar/cage. Please don't put a bar or cage in a regularly driven street car, it adds risk on the street.

kai.scott98 Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:15 am

I understand what you mean, but i will also be eventually drag racing it, and i will be utilising a harness, i kinda want to keep the car, and thats the condition my mum said, so i gotta get one.

vwracerdave Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:08 am

I'd check out Ron Lumas http://ronlummusracing.com/catalog/roll-bar-roll-cage/

Cali_Army_Guy Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:51 am

jensend wrote: Roll bars and cages are generally a bad idea for cars driven regularly on the street. Realize that you are adding solid steel tubing inside the passenger compartment close to the occupants where it was not part of the original design. Even with proper padding you are placing solid, immovable barriers where you are likely to contact with in a crash or rollover. This is far riskier than driving the car with seat belts and its factory upholstery.

Roll bars and cages are meant to be used in conjunction with seat harnesses to hold you securely in place and helmets to minimize impact damage (often from impact with the bar/cage. Please don't put a bar or cage in a regularly driven street car, it adds risk on the street.

I had a full cage in my '69 baja and I couldn't agree more. Not only is it a safety issue its going to take you one day of climbing over the door bar getting in and out to hate it. However, if your date is wearing a skirt or dress then door bars are instantly the greatest thing on your car :lol:

kai.scott98 Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the link, the cage kit looks good, a little pricier than I the other ones I was looking at, I guess you pay for quality, however I'm only a student with a summer hob, the most I can go to is like £600. I get that it can be a safety issue, and have taken Into account getting in and out, I'm only small it will be fine, and all with bucket seats and a harness it should be that bit safer.