TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Odd 1986 Wiring Page: 1, 2  Next
djkeev Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm

It has been discussed, the void in early 1986 wiring diagrams in the Bentley. It is seemingly ignored.

I've drawn my own up at times!

I just stumbled upon a 1985/86 VW issue shop wiring diagram book for the Vanagon!!!

I am SO EXCITED!!!!
It will be here Friday.

I am hoping to open the book and find my half 85 half 86 AC wiring all neatly sketched out for me!

If it covers this half breed year as I am hoping (knock on wood) ......... Pdf's will magically appear here for all to enjoy! :lol:

Dave

61Scout Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm

As a fellow owner of a 1986, I feel your pain. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the mystery void gets filled. Thanks, Dave! =D>

-Kevin

dhaavers Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:53 pm

x2... :roll:

8)

kamzcab86 Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 pm

djkeev wrote: It has been discussed, the void in early 1986 wiring diagrams in the Bentley. It is seemingly ignored.

I just stumbled upon a 1985/86 VW issue shop wiring diagram book for the Vanagon!!!

Considering the diagrams in Bentley are VW-supplied, I wouldn't hold my breath that the VW shop book will be any different. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed for all you '86ers 'cuz as an '86 Cabriolet owner who has to use the '87 diagrams, I feel your pain.

B-bear604 Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:28 pm

As a fellow early 86 owner, I have to tell you Dave you're my favorite
:D :D :D

bluebus86 Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm

I have traced some funky wires in my 86 van and made my own drawings fro some weird circuits, some of which I fixed right. Some of the patch work they did at VW was not very good in design. Still cant figure why they added a resistor to the coolant temp sendor at the thermostat. Little resistor soldered in line near the temp sender. engine bay relays not doing anything, just crazy stuff electrically speaking.

original family owned van, so I know it came that way from the dealer. My Dad did his own service except for new car warrantee work so it was all VW approved.

Anyway look forward to it.

got my van smogged today so that was nice, Another reason the smog tast is bull shit my time and money spent on the damn test did nothing to reduce my vans emission's, it always passes, just a waste of time money and gasoline.

pain in the ass. lots of smog stations wont even touch the van anymore, they are afraid of it. my the shop I take it too told me they will be retiring soon, so next time I may have to search far and wide for a place to smog it.

metropoj Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:02 am

x ... er, I lost count ;)

Nov 85, 1986 model GL camper here. I currently have the dash out to do Heater core.

Between the scotch locks, PO custom 'add ons' and mystery wires from factory vs. Bentley, you are a king amongst kings for sharing.

insyncro Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 am

I swapped 91 D series wiring into my 86.
Smooth sailing since.

djkeev Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 am

Well, my wiring book arrived, it is as represented!
In great shape and complete.

It covers only 1985 and 1986, printed in 11/86.....

Sadly, as Kam predicted....... Our 1/2 year bastard A/C systems are NOT covered! :roll:

Oh well........ It is really nice having the wiring all together without pawing through every model ever made to get to mine!

Any other 86 wiring "oddities" I should check and see if they are in here?

Dave

kamzcab86 Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 am

djkeev wrote: Sadly, as Kam predicted....... Our 1/2 year bastard A/C systems are NOT covered! :roll:

VW is too predictable, I'm afraid.

In all seriousness, that's too bad... :( Would've been nice to have had concise information.

Like you say, though, a side benefit is the convenience of having the diagrams in a single "book". I've got a Post-It on the inside cover of the big green bible with an index of all my van's diagram locations.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could scan those pages and make digital alterations to them so that they are accurate. :popcorn:

metropoj Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:50 am

I don't mind paying some bucks to get a pdf of that book wiring :) I'm planning to stick with my 86 a long time.

bluebus86 Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:08 am

7whre my stock 1986 van differed alot from the official bentely diagram was in the engine bay relay box. fuel pump relay ecu relay etc.... also the spark coil power wire. it be interesting to see how your new new shows that stuff I also have the early 1986 ac system.

please let us know if younsee difference between your book and the bentely. in these areas. I also wonder if there is any referance to an inline resistor added to the ecu water temperature sensor. mine had one soldered inline. maybe a califonia smog spec thing???? original owner family. so I know we did not add it. maybe factory or dealer modification? the van was initially serviced by dealer for warrentee, other wise it was always serviced by me or my family, so we are not sure how that resistor got put inline.

have you done a page by page comparision of the benetely to you new book?

if you can post all the pages I will be pleased to do so and report back.

thanks for sharing

djkeev Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:15 am

Sorry, can't/won't sell anyone a copy.

I'll scan this next week for my own personal use (legaleze for copies for personal use are ok)

I would then be happy to let you borrow my book.... (Perfectly legal to let others use your book you purchased.... like a library.... :wink: ) I do of course expect it's return to me..........

If you would like to borrow my book, send me a PM with an email address.

Dave

bluebus86 Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:55 am

djkeev wrote: Sorry, can't/won't sell anyone a copy.

I'll scan this next week for my own personal use (legaleze for copies for personal use are ok)

I would then be happy to let you borrow my book.... (Perfectly legal to let others use your book you purchased.... like a library.... :wink: ) I do of course expect it's return to me..........

If you would like to borrow my book, send me a PM with an email address.

Dave

just wondering about the copywrite issue if you post the images on the samba the samba already has posts of manuals and diagrams in the tech section,. since no one is selling the viewing privalage of these pages, it is ok I would think

maybe check with the boss on this, but for,sure the samba already has posted many vw manual reprints in the technical section

example...
link... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

link.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/watercooled.php

interstingly there are vanagon manuals,posted in the tech section, under the type 2 section (maybe time to start a vanagon section, as most folks think microbus when they see type 2 rather than vanagon so a lot of vanagon readers may not even know the vanagon manuals do exist on the samba) posting in the tech section seems a lot more efficient than mailing the manual to folks (which is a very generous offer none the less)

so if at all possible see if everret is ok with starting a vanagon section in the tech forums and allows you to post your manual, and move the other vanqgon related stuff to that new vanagon section also, rather than in the type2 section, else simply post your new manual in the type 2 section.

do this would benifit the most people and say a bunch on postage.

djkeev Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:54 pm

I scanned the wiring book and it is posted as a pdf in the technical section, wiring, type 2 .......,.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1985_8...agrams.pdf

Dave

crazyvwvanman Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Looks like it has only the late 86 main wiring diagram, while the Bentley has both an early and late version.

One thing that stands out to me is the full camper kitchen wiring diagram. Not a diagram version I have seen and never seen an 86 Westy wired that way.

Mark

djkeev wrote: I scanned the wiring book and it is posted as a pdf in the technical section, wiring, type 2 .......,.

Dave

djkeev Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:14 am

I too noticed the lack of Early / Late diagrams.

For a book printed in 11/86, AFTER the 87's came out, you would think they would have had their ducks in a row!

I guess they were as confused then as we are now?

Dave

bluebus86 Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 am

djkeev wrote: I scanned the wiring book and it is posted as a pdf in the technical section, wiring, type 2 .......,.

Dave

thank you!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :D :) :shock: :lol:

bikemarkb Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am

I have this switch wired into my van and it looks like it is running from the idle control valve connection but I don't know why they would have put a switch in the middle of the connection. Can anyone fill me in on what this may be?

I have no idea how to post on this forum hopefully I did alright.[/img]

Love My Westy Wed May 04, 2016 11:44 am

bikemarkb wrote: I have this switch wired into my van and it looks like it is running from the idle control valve connection but I don't know why they would have put a switch in the middle of the connection. Can anyone fill me in on what this may be?

I have no idea how to post on this forum hopefully I did alright.[/img]

That looks like it was added by some previous owner. The yellow and green wire and the electrical tape are a giveaway. My '86 has nothing like that.