TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: April 12. Lethal Hit and Run Page: 1, 2  Next
Ozzie Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Anybody know who this is? Rest in peace.
http://abc7.com/news/hit-and-run-suspect-sought-after-man-dies-in-south-la-crash/1289493/

stale air Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Damn, that sucks. I hope they find the SOB that ran. :evil:

Cali_Army_Guy Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:45 pm

I'll be the dick and say it. Seatbelt??? Hard to feel bad for someone that most likely died from not taking 3 seconds to click a seat belt.

Ozzie Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I'll be the dick and say it. Seatbelt??? Hard to feel bad for someone that most likely died from not taking 3 seconds to click a seat belt.
Dude, really? Not 45 yo seat belts?

Cali_Army_Guy Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Ozzie wrote: Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I'll be the dick and say it. Seatbelt??? Hard to feel bad for someone that most likely died from not taking 3 seconds to click a seat belt.
Dude, really? Not 45 yo seat belts?

Really what? Even a lap belt would keep you in the car. Wouldn't keep your upper half from bouncing off of stuff in the car, but it would keep your body from ending up in the street. That's a pretty serious impact so he could have died regardless, but I find it really hard to believe he got ejected from the car with a belt on.

Mike Fisher Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:21 pm

45 year old lap belt kept our son from going out through the windshield when he rolled his squareback!

rockerarm Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi. Condolences to his family. I know the area. It is a sh!t hole. On both of those streets cars go way too fast. There has been quite a few hit and run collisions in our area recently.
Bill.

raygreenwood Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:58 pm

45 year old seat belts CAN break......but rarely do.....really rarely. .....unless they were literally soaked with water rotting the attachment point threads or laying in the sun in Phoenix for 20 years and become brittle.

You should still replace them.

In this day and age.....I rarely feel sorry for someone I see ejected from a car in a straight on accident (not to be confused with a roll over that can sling out even a belted in person)......why?......because we have known for over 100 years that without a seatbelt.....you ARE going to get ejected.
Its the law in most states. You can't even get a license without being told that you are required to wear a seat belt.

Its been proven 100% that they save lives. What part of not getting any of that....did some poor soul not get? Ray

wcfvw69 Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Very sad that this person passed on. I agree though about seat belts. There's really no reason to not use them unless you're riding a motorcycle.

I've known several people back in the 80's that got in serious accidents in their VW's. Everyone survived wearing their seat belts, including me in a couple myself as a teen.

ach60 Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Nobody here has any real idea what happened in that car.
The man is dead, and someone else has throw their life away by running away.

Cali_Army_Guy Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:25 pm

ach60 wrote: Nobody here has any real idea what happened in that car.

You're right. We do however know for a fact he was ejected from the vehicle. Had he been wearing a seat belt this wouldn't have happened. Who I feel bad for is his family. Hopefully he was single and didn't leave behind a wife and kids due to his laziness.

I drove a tow truck for about 5 years and have seen first hand the aftermath of this exact thing. There is absolutely zero excuse for not wearing a seat belt and as f'd up as it sounds I honestly have no sympathy for people that lose their life for making such stupid choices.

Tram Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Wow. Talk about blaming the victim. :roll:

I want to see the perp caught and nailed to the cross, seat belt or no seat belt.

Damn.

TDCTDI Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:38 am

If he was indeed turning left (damage to the right side of vehicle indicates that.) , then he was at fault for failing to yield right of way.

Here's a pic just in case the news link disappears at a later date.

mg6770 Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:07 am

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I honestly have no sympathy for people that lose their life for making such stupid choices.

Tram wrote: Wow. Talk about blaming the victim. :roll:

I want to see the perp caught and nailed to the cross, seat belt or no seat belt.

Damn.

I'm with Tram. You guys talk as if you've never made stupid choices. Look a life has been taken, the perpetrator took off running, friends and family are left without, and people are quick to be judgmental about a seat belt. Sure a seat belt could have saved his life. Do you do the same to people who have lung cancer and swing your finger about saying "you shouldn't smoke cigarettes.." No shit Sherlock. Someones dead, no need to be a dick about it. Sure you don't care, but I'm sure the family and friends of this person don't need to hear that right now. :roll:

enjoyther1de Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:32 am

I wonder what junkyard the bug is going to...

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:20 am

mg6770 wrote: Do you do the same to people who have lung cancer and swing your finger about saying "you shouldn't smoke cigarettes.."

I absolutely do. I have ZERO compassion for people who die as a direct result of making choices that are KNOWN to be deadly. The only exception I make to that rule is first responders and military.

Have I made stupid choices? I sure have. And if I was to have died from them I wouldn't except a soul to sit there and be sad and say "it's a tragic accident". Because it wasn't. You didn't die by accident. You died by making shitty life choices and now those left behind have to deal with it. That's the only sad thing about this.

I can tell you right now if my wife died in a car crash from not wearing a seat belt or from driving drunk I'd be full of resentment and be more pissed off at her than sad she's gone.

KTPhil Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:20 am

That won't buff out.

I always wear a seat belt. I have VW Bugs to thank for this. Old Bug seats are slippery, and the cars lean over in corners, sliding you left and right. Combined with sharp e-brake cable ends poking up through the rubber boot, a hard left makes for some nasty butt cheek punctures! I always wore them after that first experience, and this was long before mandatory seat belt laws. Now I feel naked if I am in a car without a belt on. Good thing.

That said, I have been fortunate enough to not be in a serious accident in a VW, so I can't speak to whether the belt keeps you in the car. Looking at the severity of the damage here, I doubt it would have made much difference, though.

Even if the accident was not the fault of the other driver, leaving the scene is wrong and a crime as well. Shouldn't be hard to find the damaged car. This being LA, there is probably a surveillance video of at least the area of the accident that might show speeding.

Drive defensively, folks...

raygreenwood Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 am

Tram wrote: Wow. Talk about blaming the victim. :roll:

Damn.

Although we have no REAL evidence that the poor guy would have NOT been hit had he been wearing a seat belt....but its possible....if there really is karma.

Yes....hit and run with no injuries should be grounds for public, on-the-spot beatings. Hit and run with a fatality (regardless if the person hit was wearing a seat belt or not)...should be grounds for public on the spot execution.

I have seen far, far too many hit and runs. Been victim of them twice.

Just in my mental perfect world.... :wink: Ray

Floating VW Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:24 am

Criticizing the victim may be a bit harsh, but if pointing out the poor guy's mistakes helps the next guy reading this thread to not make the same ones, then I don't mind so much.

The more I look at that picture, the more it appears that, while the damage to the passenger side is extensive, the driver's side still looks fairly intact. It's possible that there was room to live in there. Had the victim's body not ricocheted around the inside of the car before slamming into the door hard enough to break the latch and then land on the hard asphalt, the only fatality in this story might very well have just been the poor Beetle.

I hope his ghost decides to stick around and haunt the other bastard for a good long while!

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 am

raygreenwood wrote: Hit and run with a fatality (regardless if the person hit was wearing a seat belt or not)...should be grounds for public on the spot execution.
Ray

So we're going to kill someone who killed someone to show people that killing people is wrong?