TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Greatest Question Which Bug
ThePorkChopExpress Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I have a long post coming up about my future build but have a quick question.

Wanting to slowly build a bug.
I have two lined up in great condition .

Option 1. 65 bug with 9/10 inside and out. Captain chain interior and fresh engine.

Option 2. 68 bug 6 out of 10 inside and out. Very clean. Same price with in a few bills.

I am active duty so I can register in California or Arizona . Option 1 I am smog exempt 1966 or older. And California I am smog from 77 and older.

I plan in the future to go do an engine swap to a ecotech for 150 ponies. I am thinking a 66 would exempt me from emissions but is it more difficult to convert to a baja? And more $$

Ultimate goal is a plush ride down desert trails and fire roads. Plan to extend wheel base with what yall help with with in later post. But I want a driver that I can do weekend projects and still have fun.
Once I get an ecotech I was going to look for a matched 091 trans. And swap drive train at once.

So... I'm leaning towards the 66 because she is clean and interior is perfect for a daily. Don't want a rat rod, but clean interior and zero rust makes it look good that I can clean up and haul some tail.

enjoyther1de Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Eco tech, higher and wider, caged, etc, etc, etc..... How much time and skill you got? If your pockets are deep enough just get a rail. And by rail I mean race car. (Crumco). Or buy someone else's mistake. Never buy parts new. You'll always loose.

Mal evolent Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:04 am

click on the link at the bottom of this post; Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index

read Beetle Basics

then ask questions

ThePorkChopExpress Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:34 am

I have read over many builds and the VW Virgin series . Problem now is I have so much info in the brain bucket that I don't know how to sort it out.

Deep Pockets and nightmares. Tracking 100 percent. I am looking for a great base to slowly build over time.

I am looking for a car first. But I dont know which car to start with. I get the differences between the years. Not exactly sure on the Super. With a wider "trunk" to mount a spare and fuel tank, if I am eventually wanting to put a cage and front beam does it matter super vs Std?

I have a Polaris Rzr 900 that is my Rail. The Bug I want to drive as I source parts (used/salvage/prostitution).

Project money I'm aiming for 10K. Skill- Chapter 1 Type of Guy - with lots of gusto! Car want to build a Stage 1 that has some aspects of stage 2 (over time)

Pre 68 or post 68? The 65 I found is a street queen. Extremely Sharp. But switching trans (i plan to do for an 091 to handle eco). Just trying to tap into the experience to build a "build list" so I can work towards it.

enjoyther1de Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:43 am

69 and up is what you want. Irs rear end is much better suited for off roading.

manasteel Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:49 am

'66 -68 are the years that you dont want. ball joint front end and swing axle. get one with either link pin front 65 or older or irs rear 69 or newer

Brian Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:49 pm

manasteel wrote: '66 -68 are the years that you dont want.

I dunno, class 9 cars are all this setup and they seem to do fine. I'd say '69 though with a thing beam.

Dale M. Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:10 am

Um... Unless something has changed, Calif. is 74 and older for smog exempt...

Dale