TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967, 1300 DP, Norwegian n00b build Page: 1, 2  Next
Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:48 am

Our first build is a 1967 (edit), 1300 DP Manual. Ruby Red,6V.

A beautiful car that my girlfriend bought for NOK 12000,- 6 years ago. She doesn't even have her license, but loved the car so much she had to have it.

We are currently taking it apart, hoping to rebuild the whole thing within a couple of years.

No prior experience with building cars, so learning a lot every day we work on it.

We live in Norway with a non-heated garage, so a lot of the winter is off the table unfortunately.

Here is a collection of how the car looked after standing a couple of years in a garage.

Me getting my hands dirty for the first time.

Driving it home. Started to the second try.

After dusting it off.

Deconstruction.

The heart.

glutamodo Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:28 am

Looks pretty solid.

Is that a 1966 or 1967? 1500 "bustle" engine lid, disc brakes/4-lug, flat rubber dash knobs and voltage regulator under the back seat are all 1967 model year features.

So, why did someone put a bosch coil sticker on the door jamb?

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 am

glutamodo wrote: Is that a 1966 or 1967? 1500 "bustle" engine lid, disc brakes/4-lug, flat rubber dash knobs and voltage regulator under the back seat are all 1967 model year features.
It's most definitely i '66. The engine lid actually says 1500, but apparently the engine was replaced with an original 1300 at the Volkswagen shop as the 1500 broke down. It does have the voltage regulator on the generator. The rest I can't speak to.

Quote: So, why did someone put a bosch coil sticker on the door jamb?
Hehe.. no idea.[/quote]

Slow 1200 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 am

built after august 66 right? that would make it a 67 model :D

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 am

Slow 1200 wrote: built after august 66 right? that would make it a 67 model :D
Hmm.. I have to get back to you on that one. You may be right :oops:

User Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 am

I wish you would sell and ship me that roof rack. I've been looking every where for that model GHE I believe

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 am

User wrote: I wish you would sell and ship me that roof rack. I've been looking every where for that model GHE I believe
Haha. Sorry. That's not happening unless you're willing to part with a lot of money ;-)

glutamodo Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 am

I'm pretty sure this is a 67 like the red one you see in this brochure:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67_new1500.php

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:52 am

A few morw images we took while taking the car apart. This is the point we discovered that the 1500 DP was a 1300 DP! Ok. We can live with that.

Now let's start cleaning all these parts!

Oh... and the dirty, dirty engine block!

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:53 am

After taking the car apart we started taking the engine apart, cleaning, measuring and repainting everything according to the Hayes manual.

As I don't have any experience with cars (unless you count driving one) this took a lot of time, and we still have a lot of parts that is in desperate need of a good rub down.

when needed I took pictures like this to document the various parts and their part number.

What the connection rods looked like after a lot of cleaning.

I decided to weigh all the rods and grind them down on the large end to be approximately the same weight.

These bad boys were marked in a similar fashion.

I bought and replace the piston rings as one of the old ones broke during removal. Everything is measured to meet the required specs from the manual using a feeler gauge.

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 am

Here's a few images from the rocker arm and valves cleanup.

These things were crazy dirty, but after a few hours of brushing using copper brushes with engine clean they turned out nice.

I measured all the valves and they seemed fine. I have a suspicion this engine was rebuilt at some point. Everything is greasy but mostly everything is in a nice condition.

Good measuring is important (I heard somewhere).

After using grind paste (course and fine) I put the tops back together.

With newly painted covers :-)

glutamodo Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:25 am

How did the combustion chambers look? I ask because 1300 dual port heads are notorious for cracking. I have 4 of them, all of them junk as far as I'm concerned, due to cracks.

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 am

glutamodo wrote: How did the combustion chambers look?
No cracks as far as I could spot. I guess I was lucky?

Figgy78 Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 am

Fuel pump

Probably the most fun thing to take apart and put together so far: A bunch of fiddly, small parts that fits perfectly together. :lol:

The spring got lost on me for a few minutes, but I eventually found it on a top shelf in the garage.

I'm guessing this is some sort of filter.

First, I thought this was broken, but it turns out it supposed to part like that.

Yes, its a lever.

I realize I did't take any pictures of the cleaned version. I will.

rcooled Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:00 am

Wow, for someone who had no previous experience with cars, you've really accomplished quite a bit already. Looks like you're doing a good job with that motor too. The car looks pretty solid...should turn out really nice! Keep up the good work and post more pics whenever you can.

Figgy78 Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 am

rcooled wrote: Wow, for someone who had no previous experience with cars, you've really accomplished quite a bit already. Looks like you're doing a good job with that motor too. The car looks pretty solid...should turn out really nice! Keep up the good work and post more pics whenever you can.
Thank you!

I will take a few more pictures soon and post. This is (as you know) very time consuming work and parts can be expensive, but I will try to keep you updated as the project goes along.

Figgy78 Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Today (after cleaning the garage for an hour – gotta keep it tidy!) i found the long lost carburator.

The condition it was in.

Another angle.

Wow. If I ever find a way to put this together again, I will be very pleased with myself!

Slow 1200 Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 am

That carburettor is originally from a 1200, so it's not really well matched neither to the original 1500 your car originally came with nor with the 1300DP you have in there, or to the dual advance-retard distributor I saw in the pictures!

still good job :D

Figgy78 Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:47 am

Slow 1200 wrote: That carburettor is originally from a 1200, so it's not really well matched...
That's some valuable information right there. What are the implications of this mismatch? Should I replace it?

itskyle Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Figgy78 wrote: Slow 1200 wrote: That carburettor is originally from a 1200, so it's not really well matched...
That's some valuable information right there. What are the implications of this mismatch? Should I replace it?
Your fuel economy will probably be good like this.

Your performance will suffer.

Are you guys sure he has the wrong engine? I always thought euro models ran one year behind American ones.

Keep it ruby red. It is a visible color. Being seen usually is the first part of not being hit.

Kyle