TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 dipstick
72squareguy Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:01 pm

I have a simple question,

Are the stock type 3 dipsticks supposed to be "spring loaded" I guess I can say.
I don't know how to explain it. It moves up an down and it feels like theres a spring inside where it connects inside when the cap is. I swear mine was never like this, but when I was pulling my engine last I forgot to take it out. yeah rookie mistake. Ever since then its been like it. Ive talked to a few people and they all said "oh its supposed to be like that" but I don't think it is since it was never like this.

ataraxia Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes.

72squareguy Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:02 pm

thank you sir.

Critter1 Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Being spring loaded, it compensates for any differences in depth from car to car, motor to motor. It allows the tip to bottom out in the tube and get an accurate reading.

Tram Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:02 pm

From the title I thought this was a thread about me.

Air-Cooled Head Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Tram wrote: From the title I thought this was a thread about me.

Naw, he said dipSTICK
:D :P

KTPhil Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Critter1 wrote: Being spring loaded, it compensates for any differences in depth from car to car, motor to motor. It allows the tip to bottom out in the tube and get an accurate reading.

...one of the many complications of the Type 3 design which drove costs higher than for a Bug. I love them, really do, but I think VW got in deeper than they wanted or the cost analysts figured originally, and they then had to price it somewhat uncompetitively. The Type 4 was another level of pain and complexity with even higher cost/pricing.

raygreenwood Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:46 pm

KTPhil wrote: Critter1 wrote: Being spring loaded, it compensates for any differences in depth from car to car, motor to motor. It allows the tip to bottom out in the tube and get an accurate reading.

...one of the many complications of the Type 3 design which drove costs higher than for a Bug. I love them, really do, but I think VW got in deeper than they wanted or the cost analysts figured originally, and they then had to price it somewhat uncompetitively. The Type 4 was another level of pain and complexity with even higher cost/pricing.

Do you mean the type 4 engine or the type 4 car itself?

The type 4 car.....is actually far simpler and less complicated than the type 3. The cost was hugher primarily because there was virtually nothing carried over from any other model.....save for a handful of bolts, relays and the fuel injection system that will all fit in one shopping bag.

But yeah....the dipstick on the type 4 wagon....only...was the same telescopic design with a different outer cap. Needlessly complex with tubes and boots.

With all of my wagons....all bought with no engine....the type 4 replacement engine that went into them was a sedan engine. A simple 5° bend to the handle loop of the dipstick and it fit right under the flat hatch.

I cant help but think a simple top mounted dipstick and brass tube on all type 3 models and type 4 wagon wouldn't have been simpler.

KTPhil Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Mostly engine related, but also the rear fenders and intake air flow and drains and double-fender seals, etc. is very complex on both cars compared to a Bug. Don't get me started on the dashboards! And for all that complexity, we get an unsealed engine bay that is a MESS when driven over dirt roads!

raygreenwood Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:48 pm

KTPhil wrote: Mostly engine related, but also the rear fenders and intake air flow and drains and double-fender seals, etc. is very complex on both cars compared to a Bug. Don't get me started on the dashboards! And for all that complexity, we get an unsealed engine bay that is a MESS when driven over dirt roads!

.....unsealed engine compartment. ....on type 3. Thats one of the nice things about the type 4.

:wink:
Ray

72squareguy Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Critter1 wrote: Being spring loaded, it compensates for any differences in depth from car to car, motor to motor. It allows the tip to bottom out in the tube and get an accurate reading.

Oh wow. So since it was never like this it was maybe stuck or something? That means I wasn't ever getting the correct oil level. It was always over filled LOL. Maybe that's why I was going through rear main seals left and right!!

sjbartnik Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:30 am

raygreenwood wrote: I cant help but think a simple top mounted dipstick and brass tube on all type 3 models and type 4 wagon wouldn't have been simpler.

I'm sure it would have been simpler, but then you wouldn't be able to check your oil without dumping all your luggage/cargo out on the gas station forecourt, which would be a real pain.

Of course the Vanagon solution was cheap & easy: just make the license plate holder fold down!