TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Upgrading my headlights Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
cmayna Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am

Was planning to order from Van Café, their 86-91 headlight relay kit as well as their Hella Headlight bulb set (100w high + 80/100w low).

Any words of wisdom from those who has used this relay kit?

raoul mitgong Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:19 am

I ordered an 86+ relay kit a while ago. When I went to install I found that the PO had already done it! Didn't think to check since the lights were so dim. I'll send it to you for free if you PM me your address.
-d

dsdunbar Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 am

Quick answer: no, but..

I bought the upgrade kit from GW, and really like their "how to install" video.

Here it is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U6gVhNw9ro

Maybe this will also be helpful for the vancafe setup.

kamzcab86 Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 am

cmayna wrote: Was planning to order from Van Café, their 86-91 headlight relay kit as well as their Hella Headlight bulb set (100w high + 80/100w low).

Any words of wisdom from those who has used this relay kit?

I did the GoWesty version back in 2011. Drove for several years with the 80/100's in with no issues. With the van being driven a bit more at night in populated areas these days than it had been, I finally put Philips VisionPlus 55/65 bulbs in a few months ago (but left the 100W high-beam bulbs in place), to ease the potential strain on the original wiring and to lessen any potential road rage from blinded drivers. No great noticeable loss of light, to my eyes anyway.

And, since the question has been asked a couple of times now in the last month or so, here are the wires you'll be tapping into:

cmayna Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am

So the Hella 80/100 bulbs are too bright?

TopBud Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:46 pm

check out that thatvwbusguy kit. It is awesome and easy to install. he can be found here on thesamba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=thatvwbusguy

geodude Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:59 pm

The issue with the 86+ is the lens and reflectors. I did the relays and they do help, but the result isn't that great. Switched out for the 7" rounds from the 85- vans and that made a world of difference, brighter, better light pattern, and doesn't blind anybody. I might go to the SA grill eventually, but the difference was so noticeable between the rectangle and the round headlights that I might never get around to it.

DAV!D Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 pm

raoul mitgong wrote: I ordered an 86+ relay kit a while ago. When I went to install I found that the PO had already done it! Didn't think to check since the lights were so dim. I'll send it to you for free if you PM me your address.
-d

If he doesn't take you up on the offer, hit me up I'll take them off your hands. I need to do a upgrade as well. (I'm in Boulder)

djkeev Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:09 pm

I am actually eyeing my decaying 95 Toyota Pickup's 6052 rectangular head lights........

I HATE my VW issue carbine miners lamps!

Not sure where I'm headed but new headlights are fairly high on my low dollar improvement list.
It won't be a South African setup though.

Dave

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm

When I converted mine from square to round, the cost for the grill and headlight buckets was completely offset by the sale of the same parts that I removed from the van. The combination of Cibie knock-offs, relays, updated grounds and Hella 500 driving lights is really quite stellar.

goffoz Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:33 pm

I did the VC relaykit several years back, and have had no problems with it.
I stayed with the stock bulbs, for a while....better ,not great
Upgraded to the vision bulbs 80/100 in the H/L lights...A little more better not great :? still had the 55w in the spots
Just before my bulbs burned out I lucked into a set of Euro H4 rectangles.
So I made the modifcations to the plugs and used some bosch 55/65 H4 bulbs from FLAPS.
The cleaned up, properly grounded Euro H4 rectangles, with 55/65 bulbs, and VC relays.is emormously better.
:shock:
I'm researching some high output LEDs for the High beam spot lights, could be perfect :D

All4You Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Just put in the rectangular euro H4's like goffoz with SA wiring kit and relays from Jay Brown (wiring kit made it easy to swap in the euro H4s). Kit is great quality and instructions are easy to follow. All fit well and cost much less than SA kit even with shipping from Poland ( thanks YogiVW)

Have the 55w bulbs in. Haven't had enough testing to report back but I'm sure they are much better than the stocks US lights.

Paulbeard Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Check your voltage at the lights and verify you are getting good power there. I have the relays installed with upgraded bulbs and miner's headlamps (to quote dkjeev) is about right. The high beams aren't that great and the regular lights are terrible. Low voltage seems to be part of it.

termuehlen Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:09 pm

If you plan on keeping your square headlamps, step one is inspecting them and cleaning them. Make sure your reflectors are in good shape and that your headlight assemblies are water tight. If they are badly pitted, corroded or trap moisture when they get wet, you need to think about replacement options. If they are in good shape, clean them up! Here is the
gowesty recommended process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWX2yxaKSk

Now you are ready to add relays and higher power bulbs.

Merian Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 pm

add the relays & visit junkyards to look for the -'85 grill and mounts for round headlights - when you find them buy the Cibies from Amazon and some good bulbs

that will be a huge upgrade

the SA grill is way overpriced and a candidate for some 3D printing

IdahoDoug Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Goat,

The 80w low beams might indeed be too bright. On a rainy night, even a well controlled beam pattern (euro H4 cutoff is an excellent example) bounces off the road and produces serious dazzle if its got that much power. Not a problem for you, but for oncoming drivers.

I'd do it sequentially by installing the relay kit first, then get quality bulbs. On the high beams, go nuts with 100 watts because they're something you dip for oncoming traffic. For low beams, it would be nice if someone made 60/100 or something that were reasonably priced and available. Wonder why that is not common?

Doug

rblake3 Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:11 am

Like others said find some E-code square light housings or go with round 7" E-codes. All efforts to improve existing DOT lights with their inferior reflector/lenses are worthless. 80/100 bulbs will have too much scatter with DOT lenses and could melt wiring if you do not run 10 or 12 gauge to the battery via relays. BTW 80W low beam bulbs are illegal in Europe. I run 55/100 in my E-code H4 Hella rounds and they are more than adequate.

The only issue with E-code is I believe they may be illegal in some states that issue vehicle inspection tags. I don't know this for sure though. Just have a backup set of DOT lights for inspection purposes?

See my siggy below for ancient weblink on what I did for my H4 upgrade.

cmayna Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 am

Lots of good info here. Thanks and keep it coming.

Craig

tjet Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 am

I agree with getting the factory E-code (rectangular) or the early round units with an E-code spec.

There is no comparison between the E-code & DOT lights. They are much more efficient in visible light quality. I even downgraded the low beam wattage after I replaced the DOT lamps with the E-codes (was 80w, now 55w) because of the better light pattern & dispersion. The higher wattage bulbs are too bright for an E-code low beam. The light bounce back was blinding with the 80w bulbs. The 55w bulbs are easier on the eyes.

Also, the Osram Nightbreaker+ (or Nightbreaker Unlimited) are a great replacement bulb. Mine came from the UK

LemonCove Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 am

If you don't wanna go "round"

I tried relays and 80/100w bulbs and it was an improvement but still disappointing . . . so went to Rectangular Hella ECodes and Ford parts.
$255 using all new parts delivered (detailed in link). Amazing Improvement.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=

kamzcab86 wrote: I finally put Philips VisionPlus 55/65 bulbs in a few months ago . . . . No great noticeable loss of light, to my eyes anyway.

I'm using Philips Xtreme Vision 55/60 in ECodes, and have been very pleased. Supposed to be equivalent output as higher wattage bulbs. $20 off Ebay