TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: IRS Trailing Arms
Mike Sal Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 am

Is there anything that would prevent flipping the trailing arms from one side to the other in order to get the shock mounts on top of the arm instead of below?
thanks,
Mike S

Dale M. Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 am

Angle of the axle shafts in trail arm... The angle on axles is not 90° to trailing arm axis.... IF you try it you put very negative camber on axle...

Dale

weasel_ugs Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 pm

And relocating the upper shock mount will be lotsa fun.

Mike Sal Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks. That's what I was interested in. I thought if I could reverse the arms, I would get shorter shocks & leave the mounts on top. This chassis is under a reproduction Kubelwagen & I was looking for an easy way to eliminate the "look" of the shock mounts stick down.

Looks like I'll have to live with it.
Mike S

Bashr52 Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:59 am

I flipped the arms on my Thing to get rid of the negative camber situation when I lowered it. It was fairly easy to cut off the shock mounts and re-weld them on the right way around. You would need some seriously short shocks to leave it that way! I would suggest just cutting off the stock mount and creating a new one that would accomplish what you want, and leave the arms alone.

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:16 pm

not to mention most stock VW shocks have like only 4" of travel as it is.

dustymojave Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:41 pm

More like 6" travel OC...

But, Yeah. Unless you install lever shocks like on original Kubels, that aint gonna work.

Kubel afficionados who know enough to be aware that the rear shock mounts should not hang below the axle are gonna bust ya on lots of other things about the car long before they look below it to maybe notice the shock mounts.

- Lack of reduction boxes
- non-swingaxle
- 4x15 4-lug wheels instead of 3x16 5-lug
- ball joint front
- exhaust
- lack of lifted spindles

http://www.primeportal.net/trucks/yuri_pasholok/typ_82_kubelwagen/

You could use a swingaxle pan with a link pin beam and a bus reduction to get closer. Swingaxle and bus reduction can be installed in an IRS pan, then you need to convert to linkpin beam. Then MAYBE you could find a pair of Australian Country Buggy spindles (which are the same as Kubel). Then don't forget lever shocks in the front too!

I would be concerned about all of this before worrying about whether IRS rear shock mounts are visible under a Kubel replica.