TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 63' panel ?'s
[email protected] Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:25 am

Hey guys, I'm going to look a 63' panel to buy tonight. Allthough I drool over spitty's at the shows, I don't know much technicaly about them (I have/had plenty of different year bugs but the oldest bus I've had is my 71' westy).

1. where's the vin #'s located? Its an out of state title so I wanna make sure its kosher

2. any big ticket or hard to locate parts that I should make sure are there?

3. I pretty much know the drill on rust issues with them, but anything in particular that would make it "to far gone"?

Thanks,
Mark D.

UZI Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:39 am

first of all, i hope it's still light out when you go to look at it "tonite" even if the place where the bus is kept is well lit, there is nothing like daylight.

i also hope it's not raining. this is one of the biggest mistakes people make looking at cars. the vehicle looks good when it's wet, so you assume it is good. you also dont want to get wet, so you dont crawl around under it like you should.

rust areas that are typical on a bus are front floors, dog legs, cargo floors, rockers, both inner and outer, battery tray. too far gone depends on price, your skill level and your desire to get another bus on the road
good luck

crofty Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:52 am

The vin number is on the M-code plate and in the engine compartment either stamped in the metal just behind the apron on the pass side and/or on the vin plate secured just below the gas tank on the same side.

Buying a panel will save you some money on seals!

pyrOman Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:12 pm

Must second UZI on that. Looking at it at night is okay so long as you wait for day light before you BUY it! You don't want any surprises! :shock: Specially if you are not highly knowledgeable on the vehicle in question. A crash course here on thesamba, though helpful, will not make you a pro by nightfall. Take the advice you'll get from this site, do the best you can but be careful with your $$.

Anyway good luck! 8)

UZI Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:23 pm

i've looked at vehicles indoors, thought i was all over them, then when you get them outside, there is a big dent or something else i missed looking at it up close.

DMNCLNR Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:59 pm

I think its a good idea to look at a car when its raining, then you can follow the leaks to where the rust is. ALthough it does make them look shiny, go back when its not raining.
I looked at a bus the day after it rained and the front seat was all wet, it took me a while to find the leak, but sure enough it lead to some rust!

UZI Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:14 pm

i thought it was the other way around, find the rust then trace it back to where it's leaking.

water causes rust. rust doesnt cause water.

[email protected] Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I did go look at it before dark. Ive seen it around for years but never up close and personal. Its got ALOT of filler around the bottom perimiter and the rear wheel wells are cut (rounded).the underside is pretty clean though, Roofline is excellent other than a popup vent in the cargo area and its not dented up.

Motors in it and supposedly it runs (needs a battery). All the pedals were stiff but seem to still work (its been off the road for about a year or so). Heres the best part Its a replica Scooby Doo "Mystery Machine"! And it was actually done very well back in the day, allthough the bondo is showing in areas. It's probably not worth a quality restore, but it will definitly make a great rat look driver! I gotta pick it up before the weekend I try and get some pics up, its a beater buts its pretty cool!

mark D.

pyrOman Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:30 am

What's it going for? $$$ :?

[email protected] Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:19 pm

pyrOman wrote: What's it going for? $$$ :?

Cheap enough that even if it was rotted into the ground it would still be a good deal, The county came down on the owner and it has to be removed by a certain date or fines are imposed. I gave the owner my card a few months back telling him I was interested in it if he ever wanted to sell, luckily he held onto my card!

pyrOman Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:19 am

Then the only question should be is it saveable and worth the trouble, are you up to it or are willing to pass it on to someone that will save it? :?

Wait, that's more than "the only question"! :lol:

Godd luck on that decision! 8)

[email protected] Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:03 pm

Here it is:

We tried to jump start it when we picked it up but it didn't want to fire (the air was thick with rotted nasty gas smell) it rolls smooth and the brakes (even the e brake worked fine) and the clutch pedal smoothed out too.

Engine compartment is pretty spotless so I think we can get it running failry easily. and ir's a 1600 DP converted to 12V.
I hit a spot with some wax and the oxidation came right off so I can make it look better than it is (except for the rust) so we'll probably leave it as is and just have some fun with it! Hopefully have it ready for "VW's over the skyway" at the end of next month! There some other pics in the gallery, be sure to checkout the wall to wall shag inside!