TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New and need some help
CR23 Wed May 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi, I'm not new to the samba or volkswagens but this is my first Bug that I'm doing without my Dad. I'm 18 and recently purchased an all original 64 that I can't get to start from the ignition. the engine in my 64 runs perfect, but will not start from the ignition. Only from touching together the wires from underneath. I get lights in the dash when i turn the key but nothing on the second notch to start the car. Any suggestions on what this might be.

Sharp64 Thu May 05, 2016 4:30 am

6v or 12v? If 6v grab your meter and start checking connections and cleaning where necessary. Print out the wiring diagram found in the technical section and laminate it.

CR23 Thu May 05, 2016 10:18 am

Still 6 volt, It worked a month ago and it just sat in the garage for a few weeks and now does not want to start off the key

Sharp64 Thu May 05, 2016 10:26 am

What's the battery testing at? 6volt systems are very susceptible to loss of voltage due to corrosion and poor grounds. Have you checked the battery? Depending on the condition of things you should probably grab a wiring diagram and cleaning supplies and go through all the terminals and connections.

Bug-nut Thu May 05, 2016 2:50 pm

CR23 wrote: Hi, I'm not new to the samba or volkswagens but this is my first Bug that I'm doing without my Dad. I'm 18 and recently purchased an all original 64 that I can't get to start from the ignition. the engine in my 64 runs perfect, but will not start from the ignition. Only from touching together the wires from underneath. I get lights in the dash when i turn the key but nothing on the second notch to start the car. Any suggestions on what this might be.

My '59 is 6v and had exactly the same problem - turn key one click, everything lights up but second click and the starter wouldn't budge. I cleaned connections and everything, still no go. Ended up having to run another wire from the starter terminal on the key to the starter solenoid, and that fixed it. I guess the original harness has a bad spot in it or something.