TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1961 garage find
static337 Thu May 05, 2016 3:12 am

Not a barn find by any means but picked this up from a older gentleman in south dakota. The car had sat for over 10 years in his father's garage and was at one point his father's project car. The car was picked up with 34,xxx original miles all numbers matching and is for the most part in great condition. Before purchasing the car the son who was the service manager of the local vw dealership in Aberdeen, SD where the car was said to be originally purchased replaced the plugs, master cylinder, and battery which was enough to get the car running again. Upon returning home with it I have since went through the front and rear suspension switching to a narrowed beam and drop spindles also drop plates in the rear and replaced every nut and bolt along the way. Also replaced a long list of other parts as Ive gone through it. I'm no where done with finding and fixing things but am getting to a point to where I am getting close and will be able to put some miles on it this summer. Future plans are to seal the pans etc. and continue learning abut these cars as it was a whole different world then what I was use too working on. Also want to add I have kept all stock parts beam,torsions,etc to bring the car back to stock if I ever decide to do so.
Day I got it.

Next day washing 10 years of dust off

Current state

Sharp64 Thu May 05, 2016 5:32 am

Very nice. Wish I would have been more patient in my search and found something in as nice original condition.

anthracitedub Thu May 05, 2016 6:00 am

Nice... I like low cars, but I woulda had a hard time dropping that one.
Still super sweet though... Enjoy!!!

iowegian Thu May 05, 2016 6:09 am

Beautiful survivor.
But I think you need to lower it some more--------done correctly, the pan will touch the pavement.

Cusser Thu May 05, 2016 6:49 am

Very nice, congrats !

Bala Thu May 05, 2016 8:16 am

Looks awesome! Cool that you kept all the OG parts too!
I do like the rear tires it had when you got it.

hitest Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 am

Looks good- was it repainted the original color?

Tony S. Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 am

That's a beauty!

gt1953 Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 am

Very nice find for you.
Now that you have it dropped, in my opinion it looks like the bottom of the a bird cage. However like we all say its your car. To me as well as a few others it is worth more in the stock condition.

iadubber Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am

Nice pick up! I love the current state!

socal1904 Thu May 05, 2016 9:50 am

Looks great, nice and clean looking!

Abscate Thu May 05, 2016 10:43 am

Really nice, especially first picture

:D

static337 Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for all of the positive feedback i worked haRd to get the the car where it is now between workING 60 plus hours a week and having two young daughters. I know lowering the car is not for everybody but that's why I kept the og beam etc. And eventually plan on passing the car down to my oldest who wants it as her first car. A few more pics

Zundfolge1432 Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 am

Just for future reference when those rear wheel bearing go out you might try packing them with grease. :D

static337 Mon May 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Just for future reference when those rear wheel bearing go out you might try packing them with grease. :D
I don't understand the rear wheel bearings do have grease in them.

Zundfolge1432 Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm

static337 wrote: Zundfolge1432 wrote: Just for future reference when those rear wheel bearing go out you might try packing them with grease. :D
I don't understand the rear wheel bearings do have grease in them.

Very good you are ahead of the curve.