TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with Steering Wheel and Horn connections
Drewmon Thu May 05, 2016 5:29 am

Hi all, Just want to say THANK YOU in advance.

I have a 66 bug that I recently acquired. It came with a different "vintage" steering wheel. (Picture Below) I'm trying to make the horn function. I've tested all the wiring and have found my way to the steering wheel contacts themselves. I can't figure out what is supposed to make contact when the bars are pushed. I'm almost wondering if it's missing a part or two. This weekend I'll take it all apart and show what I have. Any prior advice would be helpful. I already taken it apart once, I can't seem to figure out what makes contact when the ring is depressed.

The pic below is not MY wheel, but what it looks like (mine is white, not wood)

Cusser Thu May 05, 2016 6:50 am

The horn button should make contact to a ground wire which runs down through the steering shaft. This completion of ground makes the horn sound.

Drewmon Thu May 05, 2016 6:57 am

The ring has 3 connection points on the back side of the wheel. They are spring loaded, between the ring and the wheel, there are connections that all 3 tie into one wire that is visible under the cap. When the ring is depressed, it's not making contact with the wiring. I feel like I'm missing something.

Drewmon Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 am

I've got the horn working... well kinda. Had a couple of issues.

1) Had to replace the horn itself, DEAD
2) had to re-assemble the steering wheel and horn ring connections
3) Had a faulty wire up through the steering shaft, (a break in the wire), sometimes it was live, sometimes it wasn't.

Now I just need to adjust the tension on the horn ring so it doesn't sound the horn on it's own.