TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I was trying to find the date my 73 SB was built.
blues90 Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 pm

If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

It seems it's later than an August 72.

Donnie strickland Fri May 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Hm?

If it says 2/73, then that's when it was built.

Tram Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 pm

blues90 wrote: If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

1973 production went from August 1972 until mid July 1973.

blues90 Fri May 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

All I could find was that metal tag on the right front of the large metal tag that are both on the panel where the frunk latch it is 08-4-2982 both tags are riveted in place.

The main thing that really stands out is the left door sticker which reads what I stated above which is the built date. Why would is read 02/73 if it were not true it also has the Vin number on that tag which matches the one on the dash and in the panel in the frunk and on the wide area on the wide part of the hump on the floor under the rear seat .

There seem to be quite a few odd things on this car that are different like the auto diff number which is the proper ratio but not the same prefix letters as it is supposed to be and the ball joints have plastic plugs with no way to un screw them to install fittings yet the threads are there yet not top on the plugs . I checked the rims on all 4 wheels to see if they were 4 1/2 J 15 ET46 and all had 02/73 stamped on them. I checked them to make sure they were the right ones in case that had something to do with the alignment . The speedo is 02/72 but the fuel and indicator light housing is 02/73.

Tram Fri May 06, 2016 6:15 pm

blues90 wrote: Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

All I could find was that metal tag on the right front of the large metal tag that are both on the panel where the frunk latch it is 08-4-2982 both tags are riveted in place.

The main thing that really stands out is the left door sticker which reads what I stated above which is the built date. Why would is read 02/73 if it were not true it also has the Vin number on that tag which matches the one on the dash and in the panel in the frunk and on the wide area on the wide part of the hump on the floor under the rear seat .

There seem to be quite a few odd things on this car that are different like the auto diff number which is the proper ratio but not the same prefix letters as it is supposed to be and the ball joints have plastic plugs with no way to un screw them to install fittings yet the threads are there yet not top on the plugs . I checked the rims on all 4 wheels to see if they were 4 1/2 J 15 ET46 and all had 02/73 stamped on them. I checked them to make sure they were the right ones in case that had something to do with the alignment . The speedo is 02/72 but the fuel and indicator light housing is 02/73.

That number indicates it was built on Thursday of the eighth week of the year- calendar year- 08 is the week, 4 is the 4th workday or Thursday.

This tells me the last Thurs. of Feb. 73 is the build date, and in 1973 that would have been the 22nd.

No conflicts I can see!

blues90 Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

That number indicates it was built on Thursday of the eighth week of the year- calendar year- 08 is the week, 4 is the 4th workday or Thursday.

This tells me the last Thurs. of Feb. 73 is the build date, and in 1973 that would have been the 22nd.

No conflicts I can see!

Thank you Tram for figuring it that out , I tried yet could not . I guess I have an odd ball real late 73 Feb 22 1973 .

Tram Fri May 06, 2016 7:26 pm

blues90 wrote: Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: Tram wrote: blues90 wrote: If I look at the sticker on the L door jamb is says manufactured by volkswagenwerk ag 02/73 in large doted numbers in yellow just like the Vin number is.

No conflicts I can see!

Thank you Tram for figuring it that out , I tried yet could not . I guess I have an odd ball real late 73 Feb 22 1973 .

Many moons ago I had a second week of July built car... one of the very last!