TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 13 plus 8 sunroof
64 ragtop volks Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 am

i wanted something a little differnt, so i tried using a typical serape/mexican blanket, alot of people use for seat covers. seemed to work but material was way to thin, i knew i needed a heavier weight material. i used a pendleton wool blanket, hahahaha. its even made in usa. it was a real crap shoot not being able to actually see the material, only pics from their online site. i had sides folded over and stitched to 41" and worked from back of bus to the front, to get the folds kinda in right place when its slid back.
i should have made it just a little wider. i took out the seam in front bow to get it tucked in. i cut pockets for the bows to sit in. the material was real close to correct length if it was longer i could have centered the stripes , but im no expert, and just decided to "wing it". i just have the extra material in front bow tucked for now, thats why there is a kinda little bludge in the front bow from the material. i scotch guarded it so that should help a tiny bit! i was going to go with a scottish plaid top and checker board floor... mabey next time...

BarryL Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 am

Bueno! Did you build it on Cinco de Mayo?

IsettaMikey1983 Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Love the sunroof!! I know this is a VW sight but I am building a '57 BMW Isetta. Sort of a rat rod, doing the seat in serape blanket and would like to do my sunroof like yours. Do you think the scotchguard will keep the water out? If not oh well not hurting anything but maybe a wet seat. Looks really good and really dig the bus. Keep up the good work.

64 ragtop volks Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:20 am

i had it in the rain for about 20 minutes and it did pretty good. the pendleton is alot tighter weave and heavier weight material then the $20 serapes people use as seat covers. i used the cheap one at first and it didnt do so good and got everything wet in the rain hahaha. i did 3 good coats with the scotchguard. the pendleton is made in the usa and runs about $200.