TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: IRS Axle lenght measure problem!!
pablovent Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi;

I have a numbers problem; in the photo table is recommended to measure between the bottom of each cup stub and flange at zero degrees to determine the correct irs axle length with longer/wider arms and trans, but before disassembling my stock type1 1303 arms the rule is not met, the measure between the stock stub and drive flange have about 1 inch, not 1/4"..... Can someone explain why?

Thanks.

pablovent Sat May 14, 2016 10:45 am

1/4" tolerance is the correct measure?

rockcrawl Sat May 14, 2016 3:47 pm

1/4" would be the absolute minimum clearance to prevent damage. If you are going to run clips on both sides of the CV star you will probably need more clearance/shorter axle.
I would ignore that advice from Pacific Customs. I would measure with the car at ride height, get the ideal length, then make sure that length will allow at least 1/4" clearance throughout the entire range of motion. The ideal length would be approximately the flange to flange distance (mounting surfaces) plus maybe 1/4"-1/2" to account for stick-through and circlips.

pablovent Sat May 14, 2016 6:12 pm

rockcrawl wrote: 1/4" would be the absolute minimum clearance to prevent damage. If you are going to run clips on both sides of the CV star you will probably need more clearance/shorter axle.
I would ignore that advice from Pacific Customs. I would measure with the car at ride height, get the ideal length, then make sure that length will allow at least 1/4" clearance throughout the entire range of motion. The ideal length would be approximately the flange to flange distance (mounting surfaces) plus maybe 1/4"-1/2" to account for stick-through and circlips.

ok...1/4" minimun......But make a sense more important as you said "The ideal length would be approximately the flange to flange distance (mounting surfaces) plus maybe 1/4"-1/2" to account for stick-through and circlips"...I understand really fine, not at bottom cup...that way I make sure that the cv cage work in the permitted range, but this measurement is at the narrowest point right?

pablovent Sat May 14, 2016 6:17 pm

If I dont use clips with stock type2 axles, the axle/cvs splines wear?
........Any advantages without clips?

rockcrawl Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 am

I would make the measurement shown as "CV Mounting Surface" in the diagram above, and add a little. Then make sure it will not be too long when the suspension is fully compressed.

Stock axles have a flange that the CV star seats against, so no inner clip is necessary. Aftermarket axles have long splines with no flange or groove. Some people suggest that no inner clip is necessary, the CV will just float on the splines and allow for more travel. In either case the outer clip is necessary to keep the CV on the shaft.