TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering lock
thickfacek Thu May 19, 2016 5:41 pm

What years have a steering lock? Will be picking up a 65 variant e with no key. Thanks

Erik G Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

all of them have a steering lock. You are going to need to remove the tank, and disconnect the coupler

Also - Door key and ignition key are not the same like other VW's

Sorry :(

thickfacek Fri May 20, 2016 8:48 am

How much turning left and right do you get before it locks? Hopefully there is enough to maneuver it onto a trailer.

Erik G Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 am

not much at all.

If it's locked, you are going to have to pull the gas tank and disconnect the steering coupler. Couple minutes tops

you might get lucky and the column lock is broken...

thickfacek Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 am

Not sure if it's locked. Forgot to check. Just want to be prepared. Is there enough access to the coupler if you remove driver side wheel?

ataraxia Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 am

thickfacek wrote: How much turning left and right do you get before it locks? Hopefully there is enough to maneuver it onto a trailer.

Zero. If it's locked, you can't turn the wheel.

Like Erik says - you'll have to disconnect at the coupler which you can sort of get to via removing the left wheel.

Erik G Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 am

Why, is the hood stuck?

Not really, it's right next to the inner tie rod ends. You could if the steering column could be rotated... :?

thickfacek Fri May 20, 2016 9:38 am

Hoods not stuck. Was thinking access may be just as easy from front wheel but apparently not. Looks like the tank will be coming out or I may just pivot the front end around using a rolling jack. The wheels are pretty straight so at least I have that going for me.

rustyfastback Fri May 20, 2016 9:55 am

One good thing about a early column is you have two positions the key can be removed. If the key is removed in the 2nd position (key slot is vertical) the column will not lock. If the key is removed in the 1st position (key slot horizontal) the column will be locked. I would just use a floor jack & some plywood to move it around. I usually take the column/ signal housing out if the steering is locked, to me it is a lot easier.

Erik G Fri May 20, 2016 9:59 am

It's only 4 bolts holding the tank in

here's what your looking at (pics from the gallery)

where the wire is, is the coupler

further back

This is a late model shaft and a type 1 beam, but a good top view. Yours will have a straight skinny shaft instead of the collapsible type

thickfacek Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 am

rustyfastback wrote: One good thing about a early column is you have two positions the key can be removed. If the key is removed in the 2nd position (key slot is vertical) the column will not lock. If the key is removed in the 1st position (key slot horizontal) the column will be locked. I would just use a floor jack & some plywood to move it around. I usually take the column/ signal housing out if the steering is locked, to me it is a lot easier.

Did not know that about the 2 positions. I just zoomed in on a picture I have of the interior and I think I can see its in the vertical position. The car has been sitting in a garage since 77 so hopefully it really isn't locked. Either way ill get it home.

rustyfastback Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 am

Yea it should be unlocked then. Post some photos when you get it.