TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can I convert this bug muffler to work on my single cab?
busmania Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 am

I've had this muffler sitting around forever. '63 single cab. I will be taking it off the road to fix some long overdue repairs (suspension, rebuild engine and other stuff).

Can I cut and weld the right port and then use the left port with parts #23 and #26 from the WW diagram linked below?

Wolfsburg west parts #23 and 26 on this diagram
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm?type=2

muffler

Thank you.

Here is my old set up. I hated it and the muffler fell off so I have been just driving around mufflerless. I'd rather not go back to some half assed set up just cause it "works." And note, the truck IS STOCK height. This pic is when it was loaded with about 2 tons of dirt!

GTV Fri May 20, 2016 7:56 am

Honestly, seems like a waste of effort to me, especially if you don't know how much life that muffler has left.

busdaddy Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 am

I'm inclined to agree, those brand mufflers aren't all that spectacular even when new.

But to answer your question, yes it's not hard to close up the RH port, the damper pipe will fit the hole in the muffler a little loose so you'll have to cut and shrink the outlet nipple on the muffler a little. You'll also have to add the support tab for the damper as well as tack on some bolts on the end for the tailpipe bracket.

hitest Fri May 20, 2016 8:55 am

Jeebus you're cheap. That bug muffler isn't even suitable for a bug- a dumpster maybe. Bus mufflers are cheap and plentiful now- just buy one and skip Starbucks for a couple days for chrissake! 8)

OB Bus Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 am

I'd also go with a quality stock muffler and be a happy bus driver.
Back in the day "they" used to sell special peashooter tail pipes with a bend in them so you could run a bug muffler on a split bus. Have not seen those in decades.

mandraks Fri May 20, 2016 9:29 am

seems like it would be so much easier to just hack some holes in the bumper, that way you can keep using bug mufflers forever, and the bus mufflers still fit. Perfect mod in my book, and it has been proven for decades, too

cdennisg Fri May 20, 2016 10:30 am

I tend to be frugal, and I like to make do with what I have. Unless you can find the really good quality bus muffler, it likely will not be much better than the bug muffler you have.

Cut, weld, and run that muffler! Brazing will hold the damper pipe in place better than the stock clamp, and you can heat it up to melt off when it comes time to replace. Rig up some sort of bracing for the damper pipe, and drive on.

busmania Fri May 20, 2016 10:49 am

mandraks wrote: seems like it would be so much easier to just hack some holes in the bumper, that way you can keep using bug mufflers forever, and the bus mufflers still fit. Perfect mod in my book, and it has been proven for decades, too

lol, I did that after starting this thread while I was eagerly awaiting replies!

It's not that I'm cheap, I just need to kill time and like a challenge. Plus, any excuse to weld is a good one imo (I don't get to use my welder and plasma enough). Ive also spent a lot of money recently on home stuff. My immediate plans on this bus are suspension overhaul, breaks, new engine etc...so cutting a few bucks out here and there would be nice. My projects (home and car) always spiral out of control budget wise.

When you drive 600-800 miles per year, this muffler could last a decade.

mandraks Fri May 20, 2016 1:10 pm

busmania wrote: mandraks wrote: seems like it would be so much easier to just hack some holes in the bumper, that way you can keep using bug mufflers forever, and the bus mufflers still fit. Perfect mod in my book, and it has been proven for decades, too

lol, I did that after starting this thread while I was eagerly awaiting replies!

It's not that I'm cheap, I just need to kill time and like a challenge. Plus, any excuse to weld is a good one imo (I don't get to use my welder and plasma enough). Ive also spent a lot of money recently on home stuff. My immediate plans on this bus are suspension overhaul, breaks, new engine etc...so cutting a few bucks out here and there would be nice. My projects (home and car) always spiral out of control budget wise.

i currently have a bus muffler on my 53 beetle ;)

thom Fri May 20, 2016 3:32 pm

mandraks wrote: busmania wrote: mandraks wrote: seems like it would be so much easier to just hack some holes in the bumper, that way you can keep using bug mufflers forever, and the bus mufflers still fit. Perfect mod in my book, and it has been proven for decades, too

i currently have a bus muffler on my 53 beetle ;)

I have a bus muffler on my '52 bug

Stocknazi Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 pm

hitest wrote: Bus mufflers are cheap and plentiful now

They are? When did this happen?

German bus 1600 mufflers are hard to find, and usually expensive when you do find them.

hitest Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

StockNazi wrote: hitest wrote: Bus mufflers are cheap and plentiful now

German bus 1600 mufflers are hard to find, and usually expensive when you do find them.

...thus making this enlightening info inapplicable in this thread. 8)

And cheap is in the eye of the beholder- neither you or I can define it for the OP. "Cheap" to me never includes a tip falling off a welded, rusty and oily muffler- striking dead the motorcyclist behind me.

ZENVWDRIVER Sat May 21, 2016 7:01 am

... have you thought of simply converting your rear bumper to accept the 2 pea shooters? I once bought a 1960 SO23 with 2 small round holes cut in the rear bumper to facilitate the bug muffler shooters... love that bumper and kept it when I sold the bus... Can't wait to use it again.

Clara Sat May 21, 2016 7:26 am

hitest wrote: StockNazi wrote: hitest wrote: Bus mufflers are cheap and plentiful now

...thus making this enlightening info inapplicable in this thread. 8)

And cheap is in the eye of the beholder- neither you or I can define it for the OP. "Cheap" to me never includes a tip falling off a welded, rusty and oily muffler- striking dead the motorcyclist behind me.

WW has Dansk Bus Mufflers for $129, FWIW . Made in Denmark.

Recently, I have been running Canadian bus mufflers, having bought a stash of them at a good price from a guy who used to run a shop. I think they are of lesser quality; the fit is not as nice. But they work fine. Guess I will be buying a Dansk muffler for the next motor, though.

Seems like a bunch of work to alter a used muffler. But you can do it.
I'd do it before hacking holes in a bumper.

EverettB Sat May 21, 2016 7:58 am

ZENVWDRIVER wrote: ... have you thought of simply converting your rear bumper to accept the 2 pea shooters? I once bought a 1960 SO23 with 2 small round holes cut in the rear bumper to facilitate the bug muffler shooters... love that bumper and kept it when I sold the bus... Can't wait to use it again.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo

busmania Sat May 21, 2016 8:22 am

EverettB wrote: ZENVWDRIVER wrote: ... have you thought of simply converting your rear bumper to accept the 2 pea shooters? I once bought a 1960 SO23 with 2 small round holes cut in the rear bumper to facilitate the bug muffler shooters... love that bumper and kept it when I sold the bus... Can't wait to use it again.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Will never happen and can't believe people are serious about doing it. Cutting holes would ruin a 100% of slash (I think) bumper. I'm a do it right the first time type so I'll probably end up buying new. Why rebuild the engine only to put a crap muffler on it? This is why my budget spirals out of control on any project I do!

What's REALLY dumb is I have had garages full of parts for years. I got rid of everything years ago but for some dumb reason I've been lugging around this muffler thinking I'd use it some day. Guess it's probably going in the scrap pile.

cdennisg Sat May 21, 2016 8:28 am

EverettB wrote: ZENVWDRIVER wrote: ... have you thought of simply converting your rear bumper to accept the 2 pea shooters? I once bought a 1960 SO23 with 2 small round holes cut in the rear bumper to facilitate the bug muffler shooters... love that bumper and kept it when I sold the bus... Can't wait to use it again.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Absolutely definitely DO NOT cut holes in your bumper! STOP THE INSANITY!

ritchiet002 Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Couldn't you run left and right dampers? You'd have weld or bolt in two mounting brackets---but---better than holes in the bumper!