TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Porsche Gauges into bug
straightime Wed May 25, 2016 1:45 am

Hi, has. Anyone fit porsche gauges into a type 1?

Any links to a how to procedure?

Which gauges would be best?

I have the opportunity to buy some 914 gauges and would love to use on my Bug if possible. Its a 12v bug

Thanks for any advice

VdanielW Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am

The only Porsche gauge I've installed was a 4cyl 914 tach in a baja I had. Easy and straight forward just like installing any aftermarket tach. As far as other gauges- make sure you use the proper senders (That shouldn't be too hard to search and find on google) and I'm sure an adapter of some kind will be needed for the speedo. There are a few places referred to here on the samba that you can run a search for.

grandpa pete Wed May 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Tach ; oil temp ; oil pressure .....12 volt is 12 volt any car .
one trick is to run the 4 wires that come in a " trailer harness " available at auto zone. this will give you 4 distinct color wires run at one time .

straightime Thu May 26, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks for reply, I'm no auto electrician, but determined to make it work!!

Regards

carcrazed Thu May 26, 2016 7:54 am

grandpa pete wrote: Tach ; oil temp ; oil pressure .....12 volt is 12 volt any car .
one trick is to run the 4 wires that come in a " trailer harness " available at auto zone. this will give you 4 distinct color wires run at one time .

Nice suggestion....really never thought of that one. I will keep that one in mine next time Grandpa Pete!

KTPhil Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 am

grandpa pete wrote: one trick is to run the 4 wires that come in a " trailer harness " available at auto zone. this will give you 4 distinct color wires run at one time .

Bingo! I just did exactly this when I added oil temp and pressure gauges recently. Much neater and easy to keep them straight.

I bought the type with a 4-pole connector molded on one end. I also bought a 4ft pigtail with a matching connector. Now if I pull the motor, I unplug the one connector and all the gauge wiring is clear. Easier than snaking them individually and then having to unsnake them to pull a motor.

As to the Porsche gauges, there are some issues to consider. You will probably have to build a console or hack the dash. There are nice gauges and replacement dash panels that will minimize cutting.

Also, the Porsche tach has a redline higher than you will want your Bug to run. And not just redline... consider the sweep through your desired RPM range. A VW is happiest between 2K and 4K. The Porsche will buzz to 6K. A tach that convers a wide RPM range will have a very narrow sweep from 2K to 4K-- narrow enough that you can't tell at a glance. A tach with a 5K top range will sweep a wider arc through your RPMs and be much more visible and usable.

grandpa pete Thu May 26, 2016 2:42 pm

The four prong plug is one I hadn't thought of ......Thks

straightime Sun May 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it guy's