TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly
JeffRens Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm

I posted this in the Oval forum and got no respose, so trying here
I've disassembled my Oval ignition switch. I want to rekey the cylinder. Does anyone know how the cylinder comes apart to get to the tumblers?? Thanks

mukluk Fri May 27, 2016 2:58 pm

The lock cylinder usually has a small screw, roll pin, or circlip holding it together. Later cylinders used a spring clip that can only be released after drilling a small hole in the correct location on the cylinder, allowing a straight pin to be inserted to depress the clip.

If you post up a few clear close-up pics from various ends and angles, we may be able to help figure out how it's assembled.

JeffRens Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. Here's a couple of close-ups. I know I could buy one from the classified, but this is the love of a project, right? :) I bought this from a swap meet. Can I assume it's an SG key?

mukluk Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 pm

In the second pic it appears there may be a solid pin that's installed through the end of the center section of the lock -- looks like you may be able to drive that out, releasing the plate which limits the rotation travel of the center, which will then allow you to pull the center out the front of the assembly.

JeffRens Sat May 28, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks. Its obvious now. You are indeed correct. There is a pin that is driven thru the center round section that holds the plate in. The pin was ground down flush and polished so good it wasn't visible initially. Wish me luck. Now I just need to find a key. Anybody have an old cut key they want to sell so I can code this cylinder to it? From what I've read I need any SG key?.... Jeff

panicman Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 am

If you are so inclined, do us all a huge favor and take the time to put together a step by step of the process of disassembly, reworking, and reassembly. It would be a huge help. And it might even make the Stickies.

I got some keys with a parts lot a while back, I'll see if any are SG.

JeffRens Sat May 28, 2016 9:16 am

Will do. Knocked the pin out and got the cylinder out to get to the "tumblers". If I can get a hold of a cut key, it looks very do-able. I'll post some pics...

bnam Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:16 am

Any chance you took some more pics? I'm interested to do the same.

Thanks!

JeffRens Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Sorry... been a while since I've messed with this. I was able to re-key my door locks, ignition and engine compartment locks to the same SG key. I, unfortunately, did not take pictures through the process like I intended. The trick was to have enough tumblers from other lock cylinders to find the right combination for the same key. I was only able to get real close on one of them, and delicately used a grinder to get the tumblers smooth to the cylinder barrel. they all work great... It is not all that difficult with a little trial and error... Jeff