TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1969 vw bug defective fuel pump fire?
J.montalvo94 Wed May 25, 2016 10:58 pm

New to the site not to sure if this is where I would post or not I have a 1969 vw bug with a 1915cc engine I installed an autozone mechanical fuel pump a couple months back which is still under warranty anyways I was driving Saturday night turned the corner my car shut off and caught up in flames not sure if anyone has seen this before or not but everyone says it's due to fuel filters bad lines leaking carb etc but haven't seen any from a fuel pump I believe I received a defective fuel pump one of the metal lines coming out of the fuel pump where the gas hose clamps on to completely came out of the fuel pump I'm guessing which caused the fire any help would be appreciated thank you

56Cabrio Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 pm

That's pretty common, that's why it's a good idea to put safety wire on those pressed fittings. Something like the carb in the pic.
Pic from Cusser.

J.montalvo94 Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Alright because I was going to see about putting a claim against autozone due to the fuel pump causing the fire and being under warranty just not sure if they would pay for the damage or not

wcfvw69 Thu May 26, 2016 5:48 am

J.montalvo94 wrote: Alright because I was going to see about putting a claim against autozone due to the fuel pump causing the fire and being under warranty just not sure if they would pay for the damage or not

I believe that fuel pump is an Airtek brand. They are notorious for those fittings popping out and the pivot pin working itself out of the body. The pumps are also famous for putting out to much fuel pressure as well.

I think you should explore holding Autozone or the pump manufacture accountable for your damage. Both companies have to know about those pumps issues, yet they keep selling them.

It might be worth a call to a lawyer to see.

wcfvw69 Thu May 26, 2016 5:50 am

http://www.airtexproducts.com/

Here's their website. You should contact them and link this thread. It's BS that companies get away with selling known, poor quality parts, especially ones that will burn your car to the ground.

vwinnovator Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 am

that's a tough call..

User installed opens up a lot of outs...

You would have to be able to prove correct installation, most likely from a "certified" technician, as well as prove the fire originated as a result of the fitting coming out.

from a defense side, I would argue that the fire could have originated elsewhere, heating up the softer metal that allowed the fitting to loose it's press fit and "fall" out.

fuel spraying on distributor is what usually ignites a fire. anything above the distributor could be pointed to as the cause.

even if the fitting blew out and pumped fuel at the distributor, the fire damage will mask the truth...

sorry for your loss.
good luck with your attempts.

Won't your std car Ins. cover it??

Bob Loblaw Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Generally speaking, a manufacturers warranty will cover the replacement of the part, but no consequential damage.

Cusser Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 am

Actually, that is Glenn's photo. I also use safety wires since the mid-1970s, maybe pre-dating Glenn's, but Glenn does it way neater than I do.

Unfortunately, cost of engine/VW repair would likely be too small potatoes for a lawyer, who will likely charge $300 or more per "hour". But it wouldn't hurt for you to explore AutoZone/Airtek to cover repair costs through their insurance.

J.montalvo94 Thu May 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Thank you everyone man that really sucks kinda looks like I'll have to pay out of my pocket for the repairs but I guess it won't hurt to try putting in a claim

blue72beetle Thu May 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Trailer the car to Autozone's parking lot with a sign over the fire damage that says "Get in the Zone! Quality Parts Sold Here"
See how long before they change their tune.

..... or until they call the police.

J.montalvo94 Thu May 26, 2016 4:27 pm

that sounds like a good idea lol make them look bad guess I can give it a try (:

andk5591 Thu May 26, 2016 4:49 pm

All it will take is a lawyer to do a search for "VW beetle engine fire" and they will probably have 100 pics with the usual "why". You can attempt to get some resolution, but I dont know how much time and effort I would put into it on your own. You may get something out of it, but realistically, you screwed up somewhere. I do feel for you and I have a 74 beetle that suffered the same fate by one of the previous owners.

BUT have you talked to your insurance agent? You should. Did some real quick research for you. And if they feel the part was the issue, let them go after the parts store.

Forget which site this was from Quote: Sometimes vehicle engines can catch on fire due to mechanical problems. While car insurance policies do not typically cover mechanical failure, fire is the exception. For example, if you are driving on the highway and the engine becomes engulfed in flames comprehensive coverage will cover the cost to repair your vehicle. Or, you might have a total loss on your hands. Either way your car insurance policy will pay the actual cash value of your vehicle minus you deductible.

This is from Einsurnace Quote: So let’s say your car has caught fire. You’re okay but your car looks like the bottom of a barbecue. Your car insurance will pay for all this, right? Maybe not. Unless you have comprehensive coverage, your basic policy will only cover fire damage resulting from a collision. And, as we mentioned in our prevision post about car arson,insurance companies are extremely suspicious of spontaneous car fires. Even if you have comprehensive, expect some scrutiny of your car and your background before your claim is paid.

Things can also get a little dicey if the fire was caused by mechanical failure. Depending on your policy, your insurance may pay for fire and smoke damage except the actual defective part. Say a faulty battery
started the fire. Insurance will deduct the value of the battery from your claim payout

From Grundy Quote: What is Comprehensive?

Comprehensive insurance covers your car for losses resulting from incidents "other than collision."¯ Grundy Insurance policies outline some causes of loss that are considered “other than collision." Causes of loss covered by your comprehensive coverage include, but are not limited to: missiles or falling objects; fire; theft or larceny; explosion or earthquake; windstorm; hail, water or flood; malicious mischief or vandalism; riot or civil commotion; contact with an animal and breakage of glass.

Q-Dog Thu May 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Go back and look at Glenn's photo with the safety wire. See the gap between the hose and the carb body? That is just as important as the safety wire.

Some guys shove that hose on all the way until it bottoms out, then they crank down the hose clamp until they cant go any more. This squeezes the hose out around the clamp, and pushes against the carb (or pump) body and will pull the nipple loose.

enjoyther1de Thu May 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Q-Dog wrote: Go back and look at Glenn's photo with the safety wire. See the gap between the hose and the carb body? That is just as important as the safety wire.

Some guys shove that hose on all the way until it bottoms out, then they crank down the hose clamp until they cant go any more. This squeezes the hose out around the clamp, and pushes against the carb (or pump) body and will pull the nipple loose.

Also, leaving an extra inch or so of fuel line will not hurt anything. It also leaves you extra just incase you have to cut a stuck line off the nipple.

mark tucker Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 am

dont forget autoshacks facebook page!!!!!

modok Sat May 28, 2016 12:52 am

wcfvw69 wrote: Both companies have to know about those pumps issues, yet they keep selling them.

It might be worth a call to a lawyer to see.
Yep, they should know. It's hard to imagine they don't know, but maybe they don't.

Not sure about a lawyer, but yes you certainly should make autozone aware that these pumps are not only poor quality but also cause fires.
80% chance nobody will care but it's still worth doing, on the off chance they do the right thing.

andk5591 Mon May 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Still goes back to "was it the pump?" Have not seen anything that tells me that conclusively.