TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wing vent weatherstripping
daddyfarlessa Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 am

Is there a way to install the weatherstripping around the wing vent window without removing the window or the frame ?
It appears that if I make a small cut in the weatherstripping at the top near the hinge, I could install the seal -?-

Has anybody tried this before ? Lemme know . . Thanx, Mark

flyboy161 Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 am

Even if the window is out, changing that seal is a bear! I've done 4 windows and I can't imagine doing it without removing it.

daddyfarlessa Thu May 26, 2016 9:04 am

Hey, thanx for your reply. This is prolly what I needed to hear.
Is removing the window as easy as drilling out the top rivet on the hinge, then lifting the window up, then out ?

flyboy161 Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Not exactly. You need to remove the door handles, window crank, and door panel.

Under the bottom pivot on the vent window are two 10mm bolts. Loosen them. Depending on your car year the vent window hinge may be held in with Phillips screws. No need to drill the rivet.

Drilling the rivet isn't hard, but you'll need a new one to replace it if you do.

what year is your bug?

daddyfarlessa Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 am

It's a 1964.

flyboy161 Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 am

Same as mine. Phillips screw how's the hinge to the door frame

daddyfarlessa Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

Coolness . . thank for your help. ~ Mark

Julio_Arcos123 Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Basically impossible to install with the window still inside as you have to slip the vent window post through the rubber and a hole in the door. As stated above, year 64 is attached with phillips on top so no need to drill the rivet. Theyre a pain to install, i just did mine. I suggest you watch the classic vw bug video on assembling doors on youtube. Since youll basically need to take the whole door apart to have enough space to install them properly.

Take your time and rest frequently or youll get pissed of haha. Try to get them as flat as possible or the vent window wont want to close.

daddyfarlessa Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Julio ~
Thanx for your time and information.
Yup . . take my time . . and remember to breathe ! 8-)

glutamodo Thu May 26, 2016 7:45 pm

What brand of seals did you get? Vibrasil or something else? Check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625076&