TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC
alysiasc Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 am

Anyone know of any shops near Aiken, SC that will work on a 73-74 bug?

bigdog1962 Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 am

Lee Hanks on five notch road and Bell's Automotive in North Augusta

alysiasc Thu May 26, 2016 8:01 am

Both reasonable and dependable?

bigdog1962 Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 am

First let me say that I've been to both and they both know VWs. And, its been a couple of years since I've been to either one.

Lee is a little quirky. I don't know that I would take my car to him if it needed major work. For instance, I took mine to him because it was skipping and the next thing I know, I have a new Chinese carburetor without even a phone call prior to installing it.

Bell - last I talked to him, he was still in business. He had some health related issues. I would call him first before going. And, I've called in the past and he was out running VW errands so he had to call me back.

Both are "reasonably"/comparable in pricing. I would choose Bell first.

Just curious, what kind of problem are you having?

alysiasc Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 pm

It needs a basic tune up to begin with and if I keep waiting for me to have free time to mess with it, it will be sitting there forever before I get around to it.

I'm having issues with white smoke coming out of only one of the tail pipes (passenger side) and what looks like oil coming out of that same exhaust. So I am trying to trouble shoot that one.

The other issue that I keep having is somewhat two-part, the valve cover keeps coming un-seated on the drivers side - I just replaced the valve cover gaskets within the last month. It will be seated fine and locked in place, then you go for a drive and when you get back you can check it and it has shifted like it has dropped but is still locked in position. The secondary issue is that oil fill line has a rubber stopper for a cap with nothing to lock it in place and it likes to pop off - tends to happen when the engine is revved while driving. Both issues remind me of a system expanding under pressure but I can't figure out why the oil system is acting this way.

bigdog1962 Thu May 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Ouch.

The tune up not so bad but the other stuff is above my paygrade. :D
Guess that's why mine is currently in Charlotte, North Carolina at MonkeyNut VW getting some major stuff done.

I've got a towbar if you need it. I'm currently helping my neighbor with his brakes. I'll be glad to help in any way I can...just let me know.

bigdog1962 Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Oh and there is also a guy here in Augusta - Robinson VW (I believe). I would use him last - he works on cars on a dirt driveway. Not that there is anything wrong with that but he's REAL quirky.

Guess we all are in some way. Just my opinion.

Bell first, then Hanks, then Robinson.

alysiasc Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 pm

What do you mean by REAL quirky? that Robertson was the one the VW dealership pointed me to - should I avoid that one?

bigdog1962 Fri May 27, 2016 5:26 am

He does know VWs. I've seen him work on cars in his dirt driveway. Stuff everywhere. Kept trying to give me a calendar....and it was July.

But, you don't go to him for social hour, just VW repairs.

I still say Bell first.

But Robinson can fix your car.