TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The clunk in the rear persists... Page: 1, 2  Next
VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 am

So i have always had a clunk from the rear (feels like DS). I thought it was CV's...replaced with new...still a clunk. OK so maybe motor mounts...replaced with new...still a clunk. Checked all mounting bolts and such...good and snug...still a clunk. This was all done when I was still aircooled.

Now i have the ABA with new/different engine mounting system and i replaced all the mounting bolts (engine and trans). New rubber mounts as well.

Still a clunk. It only happens (sometimes) at low speeds with when letting of or on the gas in first gear or reverse. The alignment of the van is spot on.

Never having seen them apart, do the trailing arms have bushings that could be the cause of the clunk? Am i sitting on (literally) a pending transmission issue?

Terry Kay Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 am

You rebuild the rear end ?

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am

the only things new in the rear end are the CV's with new axles and new shocks.

candyman Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 am

Check your trailing arm bushings. If still original could be your problem.

Mike Robinson Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 am

My weird rear end clunks have always been loose CV joint bolts. A quick and easy check. Mine have always been loose on the wheel, not transaxle side. Horrible bolts, pigs to torque.

M

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 8:54 am

I suspect its the trailing arm bushings,now that I know they have bushings. :oops: I know the CV bolts are at 34 lbs...just checked when under there. I will tackle the trailing arm bushings next, as it seems that is the only thing left to change

dhaavers Fri May 27, 2016 9:28 am

Don't underestimate the possibility that the axle may be moving laterally (in/out) when you get on & off the gas pedal.

My rear end clunk, also DS, disappeared after I pulled all the boots back towards the CV's. Seems to help keep the axle
centered & prevent the clunk. Others on the forum have reported similar results...there's even a thread or two on this. 8)

- Dave

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 9:33 am

dhaavers wrote: Don't underestimate the possibility that the axle may be moving laterally (in/out) when you get on & off the gas pedal.

My rear end clunk, also DS, disappeared after I pulled all the boots back towards the CV's. Seems to help keep the axle
centered & prevent the clunk. Others on the forum have reported similar results...there's even a thread or two on this. 8)

- Dave

Do u mean slide the boot toward each CV at the wheel and the trans?

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 9:35 am

dhaavers wrote: Don't underestimate the possibility that the axle may be moving laterally (in/out) when you get on & off the gas pedal.

- Dave

danfromsyr Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am

yes, to provide a tension "suspension" on the axle shaft itself. as they can tend to shuck from side to side and thump into the CV cup on one end.
it's maddening really.

dhaavers Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 am

VWinVT wrote: Do u mean slide the boot toward each CV at the wheel and the trans?
Indeed. Give it a shot...won't cost you anything. 8)

Vanagon Nut Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 am

VWinVT wrote:

Did you clamp the boot ends to shaft? I've never done this and to my knowledge
have never had an issue. Certainly no clunk noise but I can't say for sure that
a shaft isn't bumping into the drive flange seal at tranny due to the shafts
possibly being allowed to float L/R (In/out)

Neil.

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 11:30 am

I will have to check the boots. I dont recall if they are clamped to the axle or not. Either way, I will adjust.

snwbrdr435 Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 am

What about the lower or upper rear shock bolts?

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 11:52 am

snwbrdr435 wrote: What about the lower or upper rear shock bolts?

i checked those too, nice and torqued.

Tom Powell Fri May 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Mike Robinson wrote: My weird rear end clunks have always been loose CV joint bolts. A quick and easy check. Mine have always been loose on the wheel, not transaxle side. Horrible bolts, pigs to torque.

M

This tool, long triple square bit 8mm socket, will make the job easier.

http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-80450.aspx?utm...fgodXnIL5Q

Aloha
tp

RCB Fri May 27, 2016 4:01 pm

snwbrdr435 wrote: What about the lower or upper rear shock bolts?

Thats what was causing a clunk on my 82Westy. Probably the cheapest and quickest repair Ive ever had to do. :lol:

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 4:45 pm

I just checked the boots and they r clamped onto the axle. Cut the clamp and slide closer to CV and re clamp?

Terry Kay Fri May 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Is it possible to post a sound byte of this clunk you're preparing to repair?

All kinds of possibilities, you could be second guessing what it may be, same with the folks guessing here trying to help you.

"Clunk" is kind of generic term, which can cover a bunch of things.

VWinVT Fri May 27, 2016 5:33 pm

O will see I having my wife ait over the engine and see if i can get it to go clunk.