TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My intake boots are too short?
Dürtwagen Sat May 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello, so I recently bought a 1974 baja bug with some modifications.
The intake seems to be an aftermarket one that utilises a weber carb.
The intake boots are all dry and cracked so I boight the orange dual port intake boots but i guess this is a single port? And the left side (looking at the engine from behind) the pipe leading to the cast part is too short to contact the boot... I can't find any other boots online that aren't the dual port like I have, or the ones for fuel injected models. What boot am I looking for? Because as of now I can't even start the car....
Anybody else have this por problem?
I can upload pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance

Dürtwagen Sat May 28, 2016 5:51 pm

It's the idf manifold

Brian Sat May 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Take a picture of it. I'd really doubt you have a single port with a weber on it.

Dürtwagen Sat May 28, 2016 7:29 pm

The second pic shows the right side fitting how they should
Left side the pipe is too short?

Dürtwagen Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Here is the gap on the left. The right side they are almost touching...

Multi69s Mon May 30, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm guessing that you have some fairly large shims under the cylinders, thus making the engine wider. If not, that is an extremely poor manifold design. Either way, just weld on some tubing to extend the manifold (I've done it). Just watch for any pin holes in the welds, and clean up any weld penetration on the inside. If you are unsure of your weld quality, clean the welds real good, and run some braze over the welds.

Dürtwagen Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 pm

It looks like faulty manifold.. or a PO cut it for some reason.. either way the old boots were obviously some auto zone hose or something. I end ended up having enough purchase on to hose clamp the orange boots. If it fails I'll weld on small piece of tube.
Thanks for the advise ! 8)

Brian Mon May 30, 2016 7:48 pm

You can see the tins meet the case, so not super wide. Yea looks like a cut, that's a bummer.

oldschool5er Tue May 31, 2016 6:05 am

Manifold has been cut too short on that side by someone, I see it all the time when people bring in used manifolds bought used online or at the swap meets. Just go to NAPA or other auto part store and buy a piece of Gates fuel filler hose to fit the manifold side, cut to length and just warm it up and stretch it over the end casting spigot, clamp it on both sides, it's good for years. It works great and we use it all the time in Race engines for that application. That hose will last you longer than any stock boot you can put on it. I have not used stock intake boots for decades.

Dr OnHolliday Tue May 31, 2016 12:45 pm

Brian wrote: Take a picture of it. I'd really doubt you have a single port with a weber on it.

Weber 32/36... (not his, tho)

dustymojave Tue May 31, 2016 11:35 pm

Usually the center intake manifold ends fit slightly inside the end castings. It helps alignment and manifold support as well as fitting together well.

Dr OnHolliday Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:59 am

I took pvc pipe couplings and turned to 1.5" od x ?? Id, and jb welded them to manifold, so I can use 1.5" hose for pending turbo app. Manifold could be lengthened this way...