TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: FI rough idle question
AAVeeDub Sun May 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Hey guys,

I was replacing the points/timing/all the whathaveyous on a chickadees bus for her, and when I was through, fired up nicely, but has a rough idle and hesitation on acceleration.

The bus is a 76 Fuel Injected automatic, with way more shit in it than I'm used to... I do carbs, not FI.

The idle seems a bit low, maybe low 800s, but I typically drive around around 950-1050 with my dual ICTs.

I removed the spark plug wires one at a time.. 4 and 2 are no change, 1 and 3 make it stall.

I pulled the distributor to do the points, exactly how I normally do, and set the static timing to 7.5*BTDC. Engine shakes a bit, too while idling.

Help me out guys.. This chicks a hottie ;)

Danwvw Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Make sure you don't have the distributor way off on the timing from where it was, also that the vacuum is hooked up.

AAVeeDub Sun May 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Things I replaced:
-spark plugs
-wires
-cap
-rotor
-points +condenser

Haven't even gotten to the oil change yet.

Notably, it's got 66k miles on it and she doesn't service it as much as she should. Meaning ever. She gets her oil done, didn't adjust the points for a about 6 months.

Thanks for any help guys

AAVeeDub Sun May 29, 2016 9:32 pm

The engine has a fatty, ugly bit of puff paint on the Fan shroud that looks like a 5 year old wrote 7.5* BTDC, so I static timed it to 7.5, and it idles at 7.5. 30*@3500 vac line off and clamped, and 35* max advance w/vac line on.

It didn't run terribly before, but it was pretty beat up. She drove it a little too long without service..

Anything else?

Danwvw Sun May 29, 2016 9:49 pm

This is a helpful web-site when it comes to figuring out what distributor you have and which goes into which year. The Type II with the Type 4 engines had Dual Vacuum and Mechanical all in one distributors and timed very late, Like 5' After Top Dead Center there should be two vacuum lines to the distributor and there is probably some kind of sensor that goes to the ecu that measures vacuum. Bus 1975-Early 1976 Check your distributor number "example":021-905-205AC and find it on the "Old Volks Home" site.

AAVeeDub Sun May 29, 2016 9:57 pm

I know for a fact FIs have DVDA distributors and she has an SVDA. She bought it from a guy like that. ATM, she doesn't have the time to buy a DVDA, she goes to Cali for 3 months for residency in 3 days, but her bus was not up to the drive.

Also, it's stalling when I rev it and let off. That sounds like a fuel issue to me, but like I said, I don't know FI.

Danwvw Sun May 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Some had the 009's which did static time at 7.5' BTDC and it may have a SVDA that could time at 5 or 7.5 BTDC, If you put it on a timing light just set the total correct for whatever distributor it has according to the link above. It's probably the 205P which times at 7.5' BTDC it was used on the 76-78 according to the 021-905-205P Old Volks Home.

AAVeeDub Sun May 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Here's how it's f*cking with me.

Danwvw Sun May 29, 2016 11:04 pm

So you do have a timing light. Just time it for 29' revved up. Not sure maybe it should time at the total of vac and mech +7.5' adv which would be like 35'-41.5' revved up if I read the info on the 205P correctly.

airschooled Mon May 30, 2016 12:27 am

AAVeeDub wrote: I know for a fact FIs have DVDA distributors and she has an SVDA. She bought it from a guy like that. ATM, she doesn't have the time to buy a DVDA, she goes to Cali for 3 months for residency in 3 days, but her bus was not up to the drive.

'76 buses can have a SVDA or a DVDA setup. That was the transition year. EDIT: I'm not sure if the retard line hookup is on the throttle body or T'd into the manifold vacuum lines with the FPR and decel valve. Either way, it's possible to get it to run well with either OG distributor style.

Tcash Mon May 30, 2016 11:32 am

[quote="AAVeeDub"]Things I replaced:
-spark plugs - Which plugs? Gapped at what?
-wires
-cap
-rotor
-points +condenser - What did you set the Dwell at? Did you lube the advance?
Lubing the Distributor

Time to change the fuel filter.

To those that made the ultimate sacrifice!
Tcash

AAVeeDub Mon May 30, 2016 1:33 pm

I quit.... I'm so sorry for wasting your time.....

It's 1-4-3-2... I had it 1-2-3-4.... I've never done that. Ever.

I'm so embarrassed... 😔

Thanks guys.