TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door install tips.
PeteLeary Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi all,
Hey I am putting the doors on my square and I came across this thingy. Any ideas what it is?

Also does anyone have any tips for installing doors. I kinda thought it would be super easy but it looked like it was going to hit the front side panel when it closed so I took it off and haven't had a chance to get back to it yet.

Thanks
Pete

MonT3 Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:42 pm

That thing looks like a door shim but I could be wrong.

When I did my door install. I placed the upper top and lowest bottom screws in and then slowly began to closing and opening the door, not all the way as I was looking for rubbing on the front fender. I then began to make adjustments by loosening the screw and moving the door inward/outward/up or down. This takes some time and I believe would be best to have another person to help. You need to use caution as you could chop paint at the edges. I put a couple from the rubbing of the doors. You may have to loosen that front fender if the fitting of the doors causes your lines to not match up. I lined up the door as much as I could before putting in the other screws and working the locking piece in as that needs to be adjusted as well. That was my technique.

Whatever you do, take you time and don’t be too hasty in lining things up. Hope this helps.

eyetzr Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Yes that would be a body shim. Likely came from the door hinge. We use them to adjust the gaps between panels. Do not throw it away, you may need it later. Put some masking tape on the fender and the door to protect the paint. Use a floor jack and a piece of wood to hold up the door and an extra body to steady the door while you put the bolts back in, I use a little bit of anti-sieze on the bolts. Good luck post some pictures.

PeteLeary Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:20 am

Awesome thanks guys! I'll let your now how it goes.

PeteLeary Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:25 am

Got the doors on! No one else was around so I had to create a little trolley thingy to move the door around. It kinda worked out okay actually, if it was off a little I'd just sit in the the side of the car to lower it :)
Also the shims worked great to shift the door around, kinda nice too because you can just grab the tab at the top and slide them in.