TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What is the "thing" on the side of my van for?
cocoboots Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:28 pm

What am I supposed to do with the 110 volt plug on the side of my van? Should I buy a special extension cord or something? Remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Randy in Maine Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:23 pm

I like to plug into "shore power" at the local campround with my nice Home Depot bought 25 foot heavy duty extension cord. MIne is yellow so that I can see it at night. I can recharge my battery and run all of my stuff (including the fridge) on the AC power.

carterzest Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am

Another stickylicious threadius ressurectus in celebration of Teh Samba Retro Week!

WTF :shock:

let's dig up some old bones and have some fun?

MarkWard Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 am

Randy in Maine wrote: I like to plug into "shore power" at the local campround with my nice Home Depot bought 25 foot heavy duty extension cord. MIne is yellow so that I can see it at night. I can recharge my battery and run all of my stuff (including the fridge) on the AC power.

Me too. I also will run the fridge on 110v before heading out on a trip. Seems to like it. I bought my cord at an RV supply place along with a fresh water hose. The cord has an illumination to let you know when the power is on. I also bought an adapter for 30amp service in case that is the only outlet available. We like to primitive camp, but living so far away from any good camping, we ususally end up at camp grounds along the way. We can get showers, do some laundry, maybe even get wifi. No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid mistake for not asking. Cheers.

psych-illogical Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:38 am

carterzest wrote: Another stickylicious threadius ressurectus in celebration of Teh Samba Retro Week!

WTF :shock:

let's dig up some old bones and have some fun?

I saw that you resurrected one of these yesterday. I was wondering WTF you were up to.

Fun idea.

PDXWesty Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:55 am

cocoboots wrote: What am I supposed to do with the 110 volt plug on the side of my van? Should I buy a special extension cord or something? Remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

To directly answer your question, if you plug an extension cord into the outlet on the side of your van, and the other end of the cord into an outlet at your house or campground, it will provide 120 volt power to the fridge and the outlet inside the van next to the fridge. Without pluging this in, the oultet inside the van doesn't have any power.

RC82 Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 pm

PDXWesty wrote: cocoboots wrote: What am I supposed to do with the 110 volt plug on the side of my van? Should I buy a special extension cord or something? Remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

To directly answer your question, if you plug an extension cord into the outlet on the side of your van, and the other end of the cord into an outlet at your house or campground, it will provide 120 volt power to the fridge and the outlet inside the van next to the fridge. Without pluging this in, the oultet inside the van doesn't have any power.

An to also be clear, you will need to install a battery charger to have your batteries charge while being plugged in.

RCB Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:59 pm

On a side note.....thats NOT a stupid question. Some campgrounds dont have a regular 110 plug socket...they have a 30 amp pigtail that you first plug into the campgrounds power and then plug a regular extension plug into the 30 amp pigtail.

You can get the 30 amp pigtail and an outdoor extension cord that is lit up at the female end to show its hot...at Camping World.

OK..... let the remarks about hot females begin :lol:

jacob. Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm

RCB wrote: You can plug into a hot female with pigtails, at a camping store.

Fixed.

GWTWTLW Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Or, in Jacob's case, you can just plug into Charlie Sheen. :shock:

wcdennis Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 pm

According to her profile cocoboots (mother of 5) has not been on the Samba since February 2005. I wonder if she is still out there Camping, listening to the Blues and Baking Bread.

jacob. Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 pm

GWTWTLW wrote: Or, in Jacob's case, you can just plug into Charlie Sheen. :shock:

You know, I haven't said one rash thing in a good while on this forum, and yet you still insist on being a dickhead. Look whose being immature now :shock:

On a side note, I tried to PM you to ask you a serious question regarding an issue with my van, and I couldn't because you put me on your ignore list. :)

foodeater Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 pm

jacob. wrote: GWTWTLW wrote: Or, in Jacob's case, you can just plug into Charlie Sheen. :shock:

You know, I haven't said one rash thing in a good while on this forum, and yet you still insist on being a dickhead. Look whose being immature now :shock:

On a side note, I tried to PM you to ask you a serious question regarding an issue with my van, and I couldn't because you put me on your ignore list. :)

Yeah, but its still kind of funny to bring up the Charlie Sheen thing every now and again.

jacob. Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I guess you got a point. He's a good man (on tv at least, and still not the typical defition of "good man") but I am in no way wanting to bang him. Maybe all those broads he brings home though. Or even his real life wife. She will be single soon. :)

sc-surfer Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

Hi all, Glad this post came up.

We're in Baja now and just plugged in for the first time this trip. When I switch my Dometic over to 110v the pilot LED doesn't light up. I thought the pilot light would be on when using 110v power but it's been awhile since I used shore power. I know the outlet inside the van and the cabinets is good.

Anyone know if that LED should be on while on 110???

Thanks from Los Barilles, BCS!!

MarkWard Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am

On my 82, the LED only works when the gas pilot light is lit. I think that is normal.

GWTWTLW Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

jacob. wrote: You know, I haven't said one rash thing in a good while on this forum, and yet you still insist on being a dickhead. Look whose being immature now

Lighten up Francis! I'm just playin with you. No dickheadness intended.

HerrBGone Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Now kids, play nice! :shock:

mrchris42 Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 pm

sc-surfer wrote: Hi all, Glad this post came up.

We're in Baja now and just plugged in for the first time this trip. When I switch my Dometic over to 110v the pilot LED doesn't light up. I thought the pilot light would be on when using 110v power but it's been awhile since I used shore power. I know the outlet inside the van and the cabinets is good.

Anyone know if that LED should be on while on 110???

Thanks from Los Barilles, BCS!!

My '90 Dometic comes on immediately when switched to DC power , but not sure 'bout AC though. Is stuff still cold :?:
OOOh -- Baja, Love it down there! Where ya at?