TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is 3rd and 4th on the same shaft on an 091?
StevieC Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:22 am

I just put a new transaxle from Benco in my buggy
I drove it around the block when I finished and there is a loud rumbling in 3rd and 4th
1st and 2nd are fine, it's just in 3rd and 4th and when I push in the clutch it goes away
I talked to the shop I bought it from and they said it's my CV's, my shafts, everything but the trans
So I disconnected the drive line to isolate it from everything else and the rumbling continues
So I'm thinking it's the 3rd/4th gear group if there is such a thing
It took me three weeks to put the trans in because it's a water pumper and I had plumbing and miles of wiring to undo and redo
I would hate to have to through that whole install again

Here's a video of the rumbling, it starts with the car in first gear then going through the gears and then with the clutch in and then out. You can kind of hear me calling the gears in the vid
what do you think?
Thanks!

Bruce Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:42 am

3rd and 4th are both on the main shaft.
3rd and 4th are also both on the pinion shaft. That's how power gets from the main shaft to the pinion shaft. Take out your Bentley manual to see the internal view.

I suspect your main shaft ball bearing is bad. The MS ball bearing is adjacent to 4th gear and when it's bad, noise is heard in 3rd, then louder in 4th.

mark tucker Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:45 pm

send him the veido.....crap theres that spelling thing again. it needs to come out. did you put gear lube in it???? :shock:

StevieC Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks guys, yeah it's got lube in it
Crap, I guess I'll start tearing it apart again
I don't have alot of time, we are taking it in the toy hauler on vacation in a couple weeks
I thought I had planned for everything

StevieC Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

I talked to Ben at Benco and he had it picked up from my house the next day and it's already back in my hands
I'll be putting it back in the car tomorrow
It came with a note that said "fully disassembled, no damage found, trans good to go"
I wasn't sure what that meant so I called and the guy that works for him said there was nothing wrong with the trans
I asked if he used the same parts and he said they put new syncros and bearings
So I'm hoping it works right when I put it in, I don't think I can go through three installs with the same trans

mcmscott Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:11 am

Did you use a different 3-4 set than stock? I have had some very loud aftermarket gearsets.
I built a 2-d Mendi that the 3rd set was so loud that I tore down the trans with the customer there and could not see any thing wrong. Called Weddle and found out some gears are louder than others. Put a used 3rd set I had of the same ratio and noise was gone.

StevieC Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:09 am

Hi mcmscott and thanks

It's 091 with stock gears and R&P, Superdiff, 002 bell housing and prepped for offroad. Input shaft has already been shortened but I have an Ecotec with adapter plate and have plenty of shaft depth clearance

It's replacing a close ratio Weddle 002 mostly coz the 4th gear on the 002 was a 1.31 on a 5.38 R&P... nice for offroad when I had a 1600 dual port but horrible on the street even with my water pumper
The weddle was definitely loud especially on decel but this is a whole different noise

The guy at Benco did mention the only thing he noticed was that it looked like the pilot bearing was riding high on the input shaft
I don't even know what that means but I had this same exact motor trans setup in the 002 with zero problem
Anyway it's almost in and I'll know by the end of the day if I'm good to go

Thanks again!