TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sagging Rear Suspension
Slucas74 Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:24 am

I need help! I don't know how to fix the rear sagging suspension! Notice the left side is worse. I would like to have them even. Thanks

Dark Earth Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:19 pm

There's a bunch of threads on this site. Try searching "re-indexing rear torsion bars".

Then there's ...

http://www.airheadparts.com/vw-rear-height-adjustment

And ...

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

Babersbuggy Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 pm

I would look to see if the trailing arms are bent. Mine had a similar stance and it turned out to be a bent trailing arm.

Bashr52 Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:59 am

Babersbuggy wrote: I would look to see if the trailing arms are bent. Mine had a similar stance and it turned out to be a bent trailing arm.

I'd start here, but its likely sagging torsion bars coupled with super wide tires making it look worse.

Dark Earth Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 am

Is your spring plate against the stop ?

If there is space between the spring plate and the stop, there is room to raise the car by re-indexing. If you could take the left rear tire off, and snap a picture of this area, it would be easier to tell what's happening. It could be a bent trailing arm also, though.

Dark Earth Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 am

On second thought, If you jack the car up to take the tire off, the spring plate will probably rest on the stop anyway since the weight will be off of it. Can you get a picture of the spring plate stop with the tire on and the weight of the car still on it ?

dustymojave Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Definitely look into re-indexing the rear torsion bars.

Also check the inner pivot bolt on both sides. They often come loose when they have been messed with . The factory uses a chisel to lock the bolt in place.

When you go to re-index, start off by measuring the angle of the top edge of the spring plate as it sits. Each side. Write it down.

Then, jack it up to the ride height you want. Measure the angle of the bottom rail of the frame. Measure the spring plate angle again. Write it down again. Calculate the difference in angle from the frame rail to the spring plates.

Then jack it up and put it on jackstands, and disconnect the trailing arms from the spring plates on both sides. Then remove the torsion cap. Then take a piece of cardboard or tape to mask a line across the center of the end of the torsion bar and spring plate, so you can tell where it starts out. Then pry both spring plates off their stops enough to let it drop. Use a block of wood to hammer the torsion bar in as you do this so the spring plate is what comes out, not the torsion bar.

BE CAREFUL!!! It can maim you!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You only need to bring it out far enough to slip off the lower stop.

Then, measure the angle of the top edge of the spring plate.

You will need to have the angle of the spring plate on both sides equal before you jack the spring plates back onto the bottom stops and install the torsion caps.

If, after you have finished the job and the car still sags on the left, you will need to replace your torsion bars. Stock VW should work just fine for your buggy. No need to waste money on aftermarket torsion bars. They would be way too stiff for it anyway.