TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can't identify my buggies engine code
kylerbills Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:55 pm

New member and first time poster! I recently acquired a ride and have been scouring the net for the engine code stamped on it. The code is "FL002". Is is safe to assume its aftermarket or something? I'm new to these engines but have been doing a lot of research to learn about them and this site is awesome. I appreciate in advance any help someone can give!

Dale M. Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Welcome to the Samba.... That number means nothing to me.... Would suggest it was aftermarket case which was stamped with code only builder would recognize....

Dale

dustymojave Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Might be a number stamped by a machine shop indicating customer name at the time or how much it was machined, although I'm not too sure what "FL" would stand for.

It is definitely NOT a factory serial number for the engine block.

kylerbills Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks! Thats what I figured...it definitely has had mods. Not sure if anything has been done to the cylinders, etc. yet.

earthquake Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:19 am

Where are you finding this number? if its a VW case it will be under the gen/alt stand [type 1 or 2] or on top next to the parting line on the right case half next to the gen/alt stand [type 3]

Casey

kylerbills Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm

earthquake wrote: Where are you finding this number? if its a VW case it will be under the gen/alt stand [type 1 or 2] or on top next to the parting line on the right case half next to the gen/alt stand [type 3]

Casey

It is stamped FL002 in both locations.

dustymojave Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Without seeing pics of the number code stamping in your case, I would say you probably have a"Universal" replacement case which has no factory serial number or code. It is probably stamped by someone in a shop who built or rebuilt the engine in the past or a private owner. I have stamped some of mine in a similar fashion.