TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: suspension problems
skumpig Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or not. I have a 56 bug that was converted to a Baja a while ago. It has a 63 pan with a 67 trans with reduction boxes. The spring plates are the originals. They however made their own no-hop set up that they welded to the torsion tubes. Therefore no suspension. We replaced the transmission with a 63 swing axle and removed all the extra metal. However now there is no movement from the suspension. Could this be due to the difference in years of parts?

Multi69s Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:49 pm

put a floor jack under one of the rear lower shock mounts, and jack the rear up. Then check to see if the spring plate has moved away from the bottom stop. It may be that the PO wound up the torsion bars so much that it appears that there is no movement.

cbeck Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:19 am

Pic is worth a thousand words.

dustymojave Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:33 pm

You're in the right place.

And Welcome!

I think maybe Multi69s is right. The rear torsions may have been cranked up so tight the suspension doesn't move.

If so, re-indexing the torsions would probably fix your problems..

But when you take off the torsion caps, be VERY CAREFUL!!!! Use a chain bolted to the upper shock mount to keep the spring plate from playing guillotine.