TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: cooling fan removel
darrickengelhart Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:29 pm

how do you remove the cooling fan from crank shaft. I know you a puller but what size bolts thread in so you can pull it?

KTPhil Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Some posts suggest 8 x 1.25.

Mike Fisher Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:58 am

I believe the Steering Wheel Puller kits have the correct bolts in them.

D/A/N Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:09 am

Mike Fisher wrote: I believe the Steering Wheel Puller kits have the correct bolts in them.

The Harbor Freight kit definitely has the correct bolts......it's the tool I've used several times now.

Cptn. Calzone Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Ok old thread revitalized by me as T3 is new T 1 isnt..Attempting to pull the fan from the crank...HF sterring wheel puller.. however DOES THE BIG NUT need to be removed?? The3 one in the crank snout that is under10k ftlbs>>!!?? She tight!! Thank you peeps

sjbartnik Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Only if you wanna get the fan off!

The big bolt doesn't hold the fan on per se, it holds the pulley on. So first you gotta remove the plastic thing in the center of the pulley and then remove that big bolt. You need a 30mm socket and it's torqued to about 100 ft. lbs. so if the engine is out, use a flywheel lock.

Once you get that bolt out, you can remove the pulley, it just pulls out.

Once the pulley is out of the way, you can use the steering wheel puller to remove the fan. The fan is just a press fit onto the crankshaft and the puller will pop it right off.

This of course assumes you have already removed the rear half of the fan housing.

Cptn. Calzone Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm

Thamk ypu!! Yes I did get the pulley off and now nrrd to pull the fan. Another question...how doea the fan manifold come apart?I am probably not Identifying it properly..however I have every bolt out and it still will not seperate like two big clam shells!! Are there hidden screws?(getting a t-3 Bently or eq asap)

sjbartnik Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:18 pm

First remove the outer housing for the belt (the black tin thing).

Then find all the bolts around the perimeter of the fan housing and remove them. There are a bunch.

Once you get them all, the fan housing should split apart. There are two dowel pins that hold it together and they may keep it from easily popping open. Just make sure you got all the bolts before you start prying it apart!