TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Etching or Building Primer?
ilustr8tor Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:58 am

I have completed the metal work on my 65 beetle, car is down to bare metal and am about to begin body filler stage. I would like to primer the car to keep down flash rust (in a dry garage). I have some light to medium filler skim coats needed before it will be ready for paint. I am planning to paint Iceland or mignonette green with a semi flat finish.

Should I use an etching primer or should I use a building primer?

air-h2o-air Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:02 am

With all the new techniques....the paint companies state epoxy over bare metal....then body work, then fill prime

ilustr8tor Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:06 am

Thank you, Read a lot of good things about SEM Primer probably what I will use.

jason Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 pm

I like SPI, shoots nice and not too expensive. Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block, prime, block and finally paint

jspbtown Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:58 am

Quote: Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block,....

One generally does not block epoxy.

ilustr8tor Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:18 am

Jason you said filler on epoxy primer within a week? I was hoping to primer entire car then do filler work but will take me more than a week to get to all the areas that need filler?

ilustr8tor Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Really confused here. I am just about finished stripping the paint on my 65. Car is down to bare metal. I want to paint it before I begin body filler work to stop any flash rust (which may take me a few weeks, only have weekends to work on the car) . I thought that was what epoxy primer was for. Folks at Eastwood confirmed what you said. Filler work should be completed in a week after priming to eliminate additional block sanding.

Any help?

Mike Fisher Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm

The problem is Epoxy dries rock hard in a couple days & is impossible to sand! I'd just use phosphoric acid solution on all the bare metal & rattle can red oxide primer over the filler work/block sanding that can take months part-time! :roll: When your bodywork looks flawless, then spray the Epoxy & sanding sealer on the same day. You can still fill/block sand/sealer more if needed before base coat & clear coat. You are dreaming if you think beginners can spray single stage paint that comes out shiny/tough/sandable/polishable etc & something to be proud of as your first paint job? :?: my.02 cents

esde Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:22 pm

jspbtown wrote: Quote: Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block,....

One generally does not block epoxy.

Unless one has an unlimited free supply of sandpaper and energy

raul arrese Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 am

Epoxy is usually used to seal up a bare metal car and then other products on top of that ... but there is a million ways to do it depending on who you ask .

ilustr8tor Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 pm

I think I am going to shoot the epoxy. Body is finally down to bare metal inside and out. Patch welding is completed ready to lay down filler. I a sure I will skim the entire car. The areas I first removed the paint is beginning to show faint surface rust. Car is in garage but it does get humid here.

My thoughts are to rattle can spray the body to stop flash rusting and to make it easier to see imperfections as I do the body filler. Folks at Eastwood said the epoxy primer would be a good choice for my need I would just have to abrade the surface when I get ready to paint. I am having final paint done professionally so I am hoping they will know what is needed, just don't want to make their job more difficult. Going with a semi flat olive color, give it a nice retro look.

appreciate the support on this site.

[/img]

ilustr8tor Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Wow didn't even see this post:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658127