TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: stock MOFOCO heads Page: 1, 2  Next
gleep_54 Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:43 pm

I got the stainless steel upgrade for my big bore heads (stock valve size). I lose clearance on valve lash in as few as 400 miles. I think the valves are soft and "sinking" into the seats. Anyone recommend a good replacement valve to cure this?

Bashr52 Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Have you talked with Roy about the issue yet?

mcmscott Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:45 pm

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

open for your bore and be done with it

andk5591 Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:55 am

Bashr52 wrote: Have you talked with Roy about the issue yet?

X2 why not ask the folks that made the heads?

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 am

gleep_54 wrote: I got the stainless steel upgrade for my big bore heads (stock valve size). I lose clearance on valve lash in as few as 400 miles. I think the valves are soft and "sinking" into the seats. Anyone recommend a good replacement valve to cure this?

Please send me an email with some picture. I have not had any issues like this in the past. On a new engine, the valves do require multiple adjustments in the first 500-1000 miles before everything is settled in.

Of course, I have had some random parts issues lately and it's always possible that the valves could be a problem.

Either way, please let me know and I will get you taken care of.

mark tucker Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:51 am

???? multiple adjustments???? why??? what do you consider multiple? if more than 2 is needed theres an issue.(if copper head gaskets are utilized as they do squish about .001~.0035" depending on the head studs and the gaskets.thus changing the valve adjustment. but if no gadgtes are used...1 adjustment should do if you know how to adjust the valves and the heads are right.

gleep_54 Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:21 am

I did use copper head spacers.

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 am

mcmscott wrote: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

Your post and response are completely useless.....thank you for wasting everyone's time.

mcmscott Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:31 pm

[email protected] wrote: mcmscott wrote: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

Your post and response are completely useless.....thank you for wasting everyone's time.

He is 45 min. north of CB, not really useless. He could just buy a quality part once and not have to post problems of inferior heads. Sorry if I get your panties in a bunch, guess the truth hurts

DeathBySnuSnu Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:47 pm

mcmscott wrote: [email protected] wrote: mcmscott wrote: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

He is 45 min. north of CB, not really useless. He could just buy a quality part once and not have to post problems of inferior heads. Sorry if I get your panties in a bunch, guess the truth hurts

I too used to worship cb.
But not anymore. Too many things that were not what they were sold as being.

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 pm

mcmscott wrote: [email protected] wrote: mcmscott wrote: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

No, you're just talking stupid as it's obvious that you didn't read the posts at all. The heads are not the problem. How would valves cause the head to need to be retorqued 5 times in the first 1400 miles? He used copper head shims.....

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Normally this is sinking seats OR stretching valves, FWIW.

No manufacturer is immune from supplier defects, it happens.

gleep_54 wrote: I got the stainless steel upgrade for my big bore heads (stock valve size). I lose clearance on valve lash in as few as 400 miles. I think the valves are soft and "sinking" into the seats. Anyone recommend a good replacement valve to cure this?

mcmscott Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:31 pm

[email protected] wrote: Normally this is sinking seats OR stretching valves, FWIW.

Exactly

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:08 pm

[email protected] wrote: Normally this is sinking seats OR stretching valves, FWIW.

Well, seats are not going to sink on heads with 1400 miles. Stretched valves are entirely possible but unlikely as they are stainless steel valves.

If not for the copper head shims and the continual torqueing of the heads, I would agree 100%

raul arrese Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Hey Roy , I'm curious , where did you get the re torque of the heads 5 times ??

mcmscott Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:19 pm

[email protected] wrote: mcmscott wrote: [email protected] wrote: mcmscott wrote: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656

No, you're just talking stupid as it's obvious that you didn't read the posts at all. The heads are not the problem. How would valves cause the head to need to be retorqued 5 times in the first 1400 miles? He used copper head shims.....

Thats funny there!

DeathBySnuSnu Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Other than it takes one or two heat cycles and retorques before they settle in to stay.... I personally have had much better sealing with copper rings. I am sure they crush in a couple thousandths to begin with.

modok Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 pm

gleep_54 wrote: I think the valves are soft and "sinking" into the seats.

????
think less, do more.
It might BE the valves, but it probably is not.
IMO, the possibility is 5% chance.

"head gaskets" top suspect (easy fix, get rid of them and replace with steel spacer under cylinder)
followed by jugs sinking into case(same fix, probably caused by not chamfering case edge), followed by seats lose in head, followed by engine overheating causing all of the above, followed by rapid seat wear, and if none of that is evident, check the length of the valves.

jpaull Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Check the torque on the heads. Re-torque and see how it goes. I would not assume anything till more diagnostic is done.

Something that nobody mentioned yet, is this might be a new engine, and if that's the case how is the cam/lifter faces doing right now? Did they get Married successfully? Or was there a early Divorce?

DeathBySnuSnu Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:26 pm

modok wrote: gleep_54 wrote: I think the valves are soft and "sinking" into the seats.

????
think less, do more.
It might BE the valves, but it probably is not.
IMO, the possibility is 5% chance.

"head gaskets" top suspect (easy fix, get rid of them and replace with steel spacer under cylinder)
followed by jugs sinking into case(same fix, probably caused by not chamfering case edge), followed by seats lose in head, followed by engine overheating causing all of the above, followed by rapid seat wear, and if none of that is evident, check the length of the valves.

Modok
What problems have you had with the copper rings?
I do not build vw engines every day for a living.
I only have mine, and my experience with it since the late 70's.
My experience is copper rings the 5% chance and soft valves the rest.