TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: KYB Gas-A-Just Shock Absorbers question`
Deweyoop2 Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Ok guys for the last 6 years I've been restoring my 1962 vw sedan beetle and I'm doing the suspension right now and I've chosen the KYB Gas-A-Just Shock Absorbers. I tend to date women of the curvy variety and have been told and made fun of the fact that once I get my car done that if I have them in the car with me the car will sag and grind against the road. Is this true you guys?

[email protected] Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes. You'll need 600lbs of "woman" in the car with you or the car will ride like a rattle box. Get a soft oil shock, and conquer handling with sway bars instead.

Multi69s Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:40 pm

You will beat yourself to death with the gas adjusts. If you want gas shocks the continentals will give you a much better ride. It will still be firm though.

mcmscott Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I run gas adjusts on the rear of my 67 with stock sachs shocks on the front. Also have 28mm bars with saw spring plates, Berg traction bar, 1.25" frame brace and another support up to the package tray, However I bracket race this car. It is still a street car tho. For the "normal" street car I would use stock or at the most GR2's

modok Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:19 pm

I used to carry 600 pounds of stuff with stock suspension, and IMO, the ride was very smooth if anything, but, acceleration....... not so good.
I like:
-GR2 shocks and stock torsion bars
OR
-24-26mm torsion bars and white gas-ajust or bilstien

Stronger torison bars DO help reduce the strange handling behaviors caused by the swingaxle design.

raygreenwood Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Just so everyone is clear.....and John I know you are......

The KYB gas-just shocks are a high pressure gas chamber shock. They are typically about 20% stiffer than stock for sny application.

As Modok noted.....he probably did ok with the KYB Gr-2......now called the excell-G. Those are low pressure gas/oil combination. They are still uprated somewhat from a stock oil shock especially in load capacity.....but in many apppications tbey are quite close to oil shocks.

Just so you know the difference. Ray

modok Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:24 pm

20% or a lot more
I had a set for balljoint front that were just brutal, only for masochists.

esde Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:48 pm

sometimes they fail in such a way that they get stiffer. Not sure how it happens, but mine went from tolerable to completely stiff
I've since used Koni red adjustable when I can find them, and lately the GAZ adjustable for the rear. So far they are the best I've found

Brian Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Gas adjusts are fine, I had a daily with them on all 4. Dual purpose car, but it worked well. Gr2 up front and gas adjust in the rear, you good.

andk5591 Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:46 pm

If you put them on the front, you will raise the front of the car and it will be stiffer. I have no problem with them on the rear, but prefer the GR2/Excels all around for some of our cars (on mine and my wifes daily drivers). I do run Gas adjust on the rear of the buggy specifically because there are stiffer, but GR2s in front. Totally agree though, if handling is the concern, proper sway bars make a world of difference BUT a good shock helps too.

raygreenwood Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 pm

esde wrote: sometimes they fail in such a way that they get stiffer. Not sure how it happens, but mine went from tolerable to completely stiff
I've since used Koni red adjustable when I can find them, and lately the GAZ adjustable for the rear. So far they are the best I've found

This is correct. They fail in this manner because the high pressure gas with age on the vehicle , miles....or just old in general (do NOT buy shocks that have been sitting on the shelf more than about 3 years).....the high pressure gas migrates from the single chamber its in....to the whole shock.

It can make the gas-a-just....literally rock hard. Many people bitch about it.....but buy them fresh, install them and drive them a lot. They are a particular shock....and when the valving is right for your car.....they are superb. But.....they are designed as a performance upgrade shock.....not as a super long running OEM shock. They WILL be stiffer than stock by design from day one.

The have a shorter, higher performance life. I find that I get about 40k excellent miles from them. What do you want for $38 each. Ray

mark tucker Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:55 pm

funny thing, I just put the oh so soft oil filled shocks and took off the kgb gass shocks for that soft ride.......the kgb's were softer :shock: I hope these new shocks wear out quickley or Ill be Putin the kgb back into service..secretly of coarse...outer or inner coarse I dont know but I kinda feal like I got.......a stify ride :roll: .
yes my kgb gr2's were kinda old, but...they feal like they did long ago. I love wasting $ on crap, it's my favorite thing to do with vw's, but Im running out of room for all this crap.....

modok Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm

esde wrote: sometimes they fail in such a way that they get stiffer. Not sure how it happens,
Wow, that is odd, but I believe it. I wonder what's inside? I never took one apart, but next time I'll dissect it :wink:

raygreenwood Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm

mark tucker wrote: funny thing, I just put the oh so soft oil filled shocks and took off the kgb gass shocks for that soft ride.......the kgb's were softer :shock: I hope these new shocks wear out quickley or Ill be Putin the kgb back into service..secretly of coarse...outer or inner coarse I dont know but I kinda feal like I got.......a stify ride :roll: .
yes my kgb gr2's were kinda old, but...they feal like they did long ago. I love wasting $ on crap, it's my favorite thing to do with vw's, but Im running out of room for all this crap.....

Oh....they are definitely not crap. The GR-2s,will be softer. One thing....the gas a justs will crap out quicker......meaning get overly hard.....if they are overly extended too many times, left undriven for a long time or side loaded. Anything that can cause a gas bupass or seal failure from disuse.

The GR2's dont have the same issues as the gas a justs. They dont stiffen up. Ray

mark tucker Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:33 pm

I must be a gass adjust....

modok Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 pm

If you mount them upside-down do they get softer with age?

raygreenwood Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:48 am

modok wrote: If you mount them upside-down do they get softer with age?

Damn....if it only worked that way!......... :lol:

On that note.....there are quite a few gas shocks that can actually have problems if installed upside down. Ray