TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Have title...no car Page: 1, 2  Next
silvertonguedevil Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:15 pm

So somehow over the years I've acquired a California title for a '59 bug. It was signed over in 1982 so it's clear. But, I have no idea where the car is. Obviously, the serendipitous ending to this story would be that someone out there has a '59 bug that they don't know what to do with because it has no paperwork but then here I come to save the day! :lol:

Anyways, like I said, clear California title, '59 bug, VIN# 439253, registration expired in 1982, and that's when the title was signed over. The owner lived in Escalon.

If it's garbage, I'll throw it away. Let me know what I should do?

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Interesting. I live 10 minutes from Escalon.

I'd hold on to it. You never know.

Do you happen to have a name or address? I could always drive by and see if there's a '59 parked out there.

silvertonguedevil Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:24 pm

*edited*
Escalon CA 95320

Let me know! 8)

cbeck Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Don't throw it away. Buggy builder somewhere needs a sacrificial title to register. Titles go for about 500 around here.

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:53 pm

silvertonguedevil wrote: *edited*
Escalon CA 95320

Let me know! 8)

Well this is interesting. Here's google maps of that address. Look at the property to the left (which could be the actual address as google maps is off sometimes) does the gray car next to the blue tarp look like it could be a bug?

This is as far as I can zoom in on my phone. Bottom right above the word "details". I think this is worth checking out after work tomorrow.

slave1pilot Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:11 pm

That address is actually for a small mobile home park.
The latest Google Maps doesnt show any bugs on that property or the house next door.
I did go out and check the Vin on my 63 on a 59 pan, no match.

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 pm

slave1pilot wrote: That address is actually for a small mobile home park.
The latest Google Maps doesnt show any bugs on that property or the house next door.
I did go out and check the Vin on my 63 on a 59 pan, no match.

Well then. It's so close to me I may just drive out there tomorrow anyways. Otherwise I'll always wonder "what if".

slave1pilot Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Well then. It's so close to me I may just drive out there tomorrow anyways. Otherwise I'll always wonder "what if".

By all means, please do.
and if you want info on the PO, here's a little
She's 63 now
She lives in Modesto on Sunset Blvd. ( i don't know the house number), which is a very short street over by Modesto High School.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sunset+Blvd,+Mod...21.0026047

She also has a PO Box as a mailing address:
*edited*

I hope that helps a little.

Cali_Army_Guy Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Awesome. Sunset is less than 2 miles from me. I'm just more curious than anything at this point about what happened to the car. Who knows maybe it's tucked away in a garage and I'll have a cool story to tell.

mark tucker Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm

just dont get shot trying to get a stroy on vega in the back yard turned upside down..... hey i have a car with no title!!!!

vwinnovator Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:17 am

you should just buy a drone and fly it around over the property

vwinnovator Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:18 am

got a few titles without cars myself.

hoping one day I find the cars completely restored and then I can take possession of them :lol: :lol:

It amazes me how many ppl will buy a car without a title thinking that they are in the clear and actually "own" the thing..

vwinnovator Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:27 am

you should just buy a drone and fly it around over the property

silvertonguedevil Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 am

Well at least she's still alive! She signed the title over so I'm assuming she sold it. I got it from a guy in Eastern Oregon but like I said, no car.

hitest Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:26 pm

To the OP-
I'm glad you're glossing right over talk about drones and selling the title to someone who wants to commit dune buggy fraud.

Simply let Cal Army Guy find the lady- and ask here about the beetle. When she says who she sold it to- ask here if she thinks they would like the title to it. Anybody with a family, home or a conscience would do the same. I personally have plenty of energy to help people- but a lot to lose when fuc*ing around with fraud and horseshit like unpermissed surveillance.

By chance did the title come from the late Bill Mays?

Cali_Army_Guy Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Give me a couple hours and I'll see what I can figure out.

And no I'm not flying a drone over people's back yards for something as silly as finding a car that has nothing to do with me.

jason Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Having a title doesnt mean anything. If it is still on the road it has been registered. If it is registered how can you say it was yours for 30 years and didnt know it was missing. If it is off the road and crushed you can't do anything legal with it and posting about it would be foolish.

It goes the other way, car then title. Not title then car.

TDCTDI Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Wouldn't it be some shit if the OP tracked down the latest person that had the car & they just recently junked it because they didn't have a title.

vwinnovator Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:11 pm

jason wrote: Having a title doesnt mean anything.

does that mean house/land before title/deed as well :shock:

walked past a vacant house the other day and think I'm going to claim it as mine...and then sell it to ya for $1000!!

Title comes first.
All others are fraudulent vins/registrations to the vehicle.
let's see you take a car down to your local state police/MVA and ask them to register it without a title.

(I know, there are loopholes in Maine and probably some other states, but you all know your getting away with something when you "fake"it....)

TDCTDI Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 pm

vwinnovator wrote: jason wrote: Having a title doesnt mean anything.

does that mean house/land before title/deed as well :shock:

walked past a vacant house the other day and think I'm going to claim it as mine...and then sell it to ya for $1000!!

Title comes first.
All others are fraudulent vins/registrations to the vehicle.
let's see you take a car down to your local state police/MVA and ask them to register it without a title.

(I know, there are loopholes in Maine and probably some other states, but you all know your getting away with something when you "fake"it....)
There have been some "squatters rights" claims to property & less than reputable companies & people that have placed liens on properties .