TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front brake issue
Vander71 Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello I was hoping someone may be able to help me with an issue I am having with the brakes on my Vehicle.

Sorry being new to this site, and forums in general

The chassis number is 371211014

From what I can find here, it makes it a 1967 Type 3 Australian built car, which has been converted to a Manx like Taipan beach buggy.

It has two wheel cylinders per side of the front drum brake set up, I was hoping you may know of the part numbers for these wheel cylinders.

Alternatively if someone knows of a disc brake setup available I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

ataraxia Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 pm

There are at least two different type of front drum set ups for the German made cars - Australian cars are a little different...if you have a photo of the wheel cylinders as installed on the car that'll help answer your question. In general, there are 'early' and 'late' front drum wheel cylinders that can, more or less, be identified by physical shape. There are a few other changes within the early wheel cylinders but those are unlikely as they're only on super early (61-62) Type 3 cars.

Outside of that - if you're looking to convert to disc and you want an easy to use kit that requires no modifications and will allow you to use the existing spindles, I suggest the CSP front disc kit. I've tried three different front disc brake kits and the CSP kit is the best one all around. I've got two aircooled cars and they've both got a CSP kit. The link below will take you to the CSP site, showing the various options for lug spacing depending on the wheels you want to use.

http://csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main....t%2CType-3

Of course, you can possibly also go full custom and design your own kit or have someone design one for you.

Vander71 Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:18 am

Thank you very much Ataraxia, Hopefully this picture is clear enough to tell me which parts I require.
Also I cannot seem to find a suitable caliper mount to suit these stub mounts.

ataraxia Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:42 am

These are the 64/65 front drum brake set up. If you go to "Technical" on this site, you can download the parts book and it'll provide all of the part numbers to repair/replace the parts you want to find.