TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Generator bearing grease
squareweave Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Can anybody recommend the correct type of grease to use on the bearings of a 6v Generator. I have NOS bearings and want to put the correct grease in them.

Thx

Danwvw Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Well good wheel bearing grease would do nice but you would have a hard time getting it into a sealed bearing. I think all VW Generator and Alternators used the same two bearings. The front and the back are different though. I just buy new ones on E-Bay but an old generator not sure that would be as easy to change them on as an alternator? VXB 6203, VXB 6202

williamM Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:55 am

:( My expirence with new bearings these days is they are packed with the cheapest runny brown crap on the planet. If you have plastic seals on your bearing- I've popped them out using a jewlers screwdriver- without damage- the tin seals are a bit more difficult but can be done.

I repac with molly grease as found in CV joints.

squareweave Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 am

The bearing are not sealed on this

quartermilecamel Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:10 am

If its not sealed, what keeps the grease in? Id like to see that.

Stocknazi Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:29 pm

I believe the grease you want to use on these bearings is the Bosch brand high-temp grease. I use it on ignition points contact blocks.

You may use a small syringe/needle to inject it into sealed bearings.

jason Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 pm

I'd use dielectric grease if no seals. It will fling out immediately. Some of older types use oil. A drop or two every so often.

squareweave Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:13 pm

quartermilecamel wrote: If its not sealed, what keeps the grease in? Id like to see that.
Pull any original generator apart and you'll see the set up.

I opted to buy new FAG sealed bearings as it was cheaper than buying grease for the small amount I would use.