TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Worn valve adjustment screw
Navarre87 Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Does a worn valve adjustment screw indicate bigger problems?

mikeonthebike Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:15 pm

Mine were worn to the point of not being able to hold an adjustment for very long. Replaced them all and everything has been fine since. I chocked them up to being worn to the PO driving too long with loose adjustment. They were so bad when I bought the car, I'm surprised it even ran.

67rustavenger Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Navarre87 wrote: Does a worn valve adjustment screw indicate bigger problems?
Please post a pic or two of the suspected worn adjuster. Then we can help asses what's going on with your engine.
Have a great weekend.

mark tucker Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 am

it might or it might just be worn.also loook at the valve tip it is beating on :shock: it may have a divot in it witch makes it harder to adjust accurately. new good quality screws/adjusters and lashcaps may be in order. it's kinda for us to see your stuff from hear.

Navarre87 Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 am

johnnypan Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 am

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5309

run these,they stop valve stem wear as well

1968KdFWagen Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:18 am

johnnypan wrote: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5309

Do they just push on? Have you had a problems using them?

johnnypan Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:37 am

1968KdFWagen wrote: johnnypan wrote: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5309

Do they just push on? Have you had a problems using them?

Love them,they sit on top of the valve stem..you may have to shim your rocker stands to get the proper geometry but its worth it.

Rubber Duck Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 am

How on earth do they get like that? Do they get hammered into the valve cover?

williamM Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:13 pm

without handling them- that looks like pretty normal wear to me- The thing with marginally flattened adjusters is they have a smaller contact face to the valve so something is going to wear - usually the adjuster- but no harm no foul if you keep on the adjustments. the hardened caps are a great investment as are swivel feet- (not a fan of the "ball" type)

Any changes to your valve geometry should be dealt with.

johnnypan Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Rubber Duck wrote: How on earth do they get like that? Do they get hammered into the valve cover?

No,the adjuster screw contacts the valve stem...its a wear point..the adjuster screw 'scuffs' against the stem.

mark tucker Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:53 pm

get good lash caps not the crap CIP sells.

FeelthySanchez Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Rubber Duck wrote: How on earth do they get like that? Do they get hammered into the valve cover?

That's just common wear from scuffing & pitting upon contact w/ the valve stem tip, not "cover".
One may clean them up by polishing/stoning the face/radius in a lathe, or in a pinch - just chuck it into an ordinary drill motor.
Use high RPMs, a fine file & 300-400 emery cloth. Have done it this way for decades.

Max Welton Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Those adjustor screws are wear items. You are supposed to replace them when they get worn like that.

Max

Vanapplebomb Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Ah, doesn't look to bad. I have taken worse, chucked them up and spun them against some 600 and then 1200 sand paper to clean up the radius on the end. No need for anything super accurate, just need to make a nice convex contact surface.

Honestly, I would resurface old German ones before buying new ones. Guaranteed quality steel, cheaper, and only takes a few minutes to do a set. :wink: