TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Camper expert help. Is this a factory interior?
deltabrent Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 pm

OK last week I bought a 62 Mouse Grey standard.
The interior was a mess, full of junk, engines, parts, 70's cushions and mouse poop.

My question is which camper companies used the 70s wood paneling with the random spaced lines like this:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/4fcf5c8684ae...neling.jpg

The interior has paneling like this and initially i figured it was all home made. BUT after reading the ID your camper thread it looks like a few used it.

Here are the existing photos of my bus. I will post more

Also on this one you can see boat style clips that I assume where used to attach an awning?

There was a back bench but it looked pretty home made to me.
The floor was lino on thick plywood on top of upside down astroturf type carpet. Sadly I took all this to the dump. It was packed full of mouse poop and stunk. Should have at least taken some photos now I suspect?

deltabrent Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:06 pm

That's about all I took of the interior.
There was no side cabinet. The bench was full width. The interior had all been torn out and there where all kinds of horrible hippie carpet sections hanging off the roof etc.

deltabrent Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:15 pm

This might give you the best idea. I feel like a real dummy. BUT it was all beyond gross. Look at that mouse poop.

hitest Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm no expert- but I'd look deep at the smallest details. If it were any kind of a factory production- things like the curtain rod/spring mounting holes would be well-aligned. Is there any evidence of screens for any of those pop outs? Are there any precisely drilled holes in the floor for a drain or cabinets?

That poor bus' roof has had at least 45 unnecessary holes drilled in it from what I see. Just repairing the roof and the bulkhead will be a commitment. It's former life as a homemade or produced camper should be a distant memory. There is no redeeming camper quality there.

williamM Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:32 pm

:P :P WELL- there the challenge-- what you gonna do pilgrim?

Clara Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:15 am

hitest wrote: There is no redeeming camper quality there.

x2

BarryL Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 am

You have the correct '62 color fried eggs; no yolk (US delivery anyway). Home built camper one-off most likely. Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser used to have a similar rack like that.

tisius Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:02 am

Nice shag-carpet in the back :lol: , hippies loved that.
By the looks of the photo's there wasn't really much "camper" interior stuff to save except for the bench seat and may be the pillows. If it was mine, I'd tear it all out and do it up as if it's a blank canvas.

velvetgreen Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Not to be a buzzkill but you might want to consider a google search o hanta virus before you go all crazy ripping out that interior- something like this

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile36.stm

good idea to get some proper gear like gloves and a mask too

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-817664-Toxic-Respirator/dp/B0009XW3ZS

deltabrent Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Yeah I was HazzMatt Suited up pretty good. Lots of bleach, garden hosed the dust down etc. heppa filter vacuum….. It's pretty much cleaned out now.

OK I was mostly concerned I finished butchering a rare camper interior. I fully intend on building my own from scratch. Thanks.