TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gabriel & Mary Helen Journey Home Page: 1, 2  Next
Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Just wished farewell to Gabriel and Mary Helen well after their 72 Westfalia breakdown near our place on highway 101. Great helping out, Gabriel is most determined to make it home to Quebec in his 1972 VW Westfalia that he has driven without problems on his epic journey until now. It was the rear axel it striped the threads on it and the big nut. We changed the axel the nut the bearings the seals and re-packed and tighten the other wheel which was also loose.
Keep an eye out for them they may need a little more help the fan belt is loose and we could not get the bolt loose to change it. Also probably will need points timing and valve adjust oil change etc.. before Montreal. Gabriel hasn't had to do any valve adjust or points or timing on it yet so will need some help if they come up.
Day 1 find an axle:

Day 2 Pack rear wheel bearings and grease frontend:

FareWell

aeromech Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Gives you a good feeling when you can help nice people out.

crushie Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Looks like the bike was giving him issues as well. :wink:

Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:55 pm

The bicycle met with the drive through Red Wood Tree at Sequoia National Park.

Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:26 pm

I noticed that the oil light (K3) on Gabriel's 1972 Westy was not coming on. Where is the oil sender (F1) on Type 4? Looks like a blue green wire!

williamM Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Its between the dist and #4 sparkplug.

Wildthings Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:33 pm

The sender is located just forward of the distributor down in a hole in the tin. There is a rubber boot that seals the sender to the tin so all you can see is a wire running up out of a dark hole. Going to be real hard to see on a '72. Originally there is about a 4" extension on the wire running to the sender.

Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Ok that is helpful info. and incase Gabriel check's in here on this thread. I wasn't thinking to do what I could as it could just be the light bulb in the instrument cluster I have led ones! Ok How about that stuck alternator/fan belt socket head bolt? How to get it loose? The alan hole on that socket head cap screw is stripped! Tried Vice Grips but had to come at it from the end because it recessed under the right engine tin and could to get that to work.

williamM Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:10 pm

That trapped nut is in the adjuster slot -(other side of everything ) so you might be able to put an open end wrench on it to stabilize it from the inside and after some soaking in PB blaster the vice grips may break it loose.

If the allen is totally stripped- try one of many "easy-outs" and some gentle tapping with small hammer as you apply pressure.

Last is just drill the head off it and catch the trapped nut n bolt bit as it falls into the tin- then any bolt will do.

Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Good Idea we could have just drilled it out! I have the 8mm tap and all! But yeah, PB blasted it perhaps it will be able to come loose by when that belt breaks? Anyone been able to install a belt on a type 4 like you can on a type 1 without loosing things?

Wildthings Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:20 pm

You can buy external ease outs that will drive right over the stripped out head. Don't know their proper name. Many FLAPS and hardware stores are stocking them these days. I would be worried about damaging the alternator brackets and bearings were you to force a belt on but it could be done if necessary. So long as the alternator is charging sufficiently you don't have to worry about the belt being a bit loose. On a Type 4 the belts only function is to turn the alternator, it doesn't turn the cooling fan as per the Type 1 engines.

Danwvw Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Oh! The fan is on the crank?

Xevin Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Dans the man =D> Good on you brother. The world needs more people like you.

Wildthings Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Danwvw wrote: Oh! The fan is on the crank?

Yes the fan is directly driven by the crank. With a good battery one can probably make it better than 200 miles with no belt installed before the battery voltage drops too low to give an acceptable spark.

old DKP driver Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Good Going Dan,

How close are you to Florence,Oregon?

Chris

Danwvw Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:52 am

We are South about 90 miles, I would imagine that Gabriel is probably Far North of Florence by now. I think the plan was to spend a couple of days in Portland then head to BC.

Danwvw Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am

One thing that happens on my bus when I have had the CV Joints off and back tight again. Is the CV joint Bolts take turns coming loose over time and it's difficult to get them really tight. Gabriel said he has had this happen too. What is a good solution to that problem?

Wildthings Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 am

Danwvw wrote: One thing that happens on my bus when I have had the CV Joints off and back tight again. Is the CV joint Bolts take turns coming loose over time and it's difficult to get them really tight. Gabriel said he has had this happen too. What is a good solution to that problem?

I use the Vanagon spec of 33ft*lbs verses the Bay spec of 24ft*lbs. This is enough torque to stop the outer race of the CV from moving in relation to the flange. Without movement the bolts will not come loose. I don't go for all the hoops people like to jump through either like cleaning the grease off the bolt threads. Tight, tight, tight is the way to go. This is one of the few places excepting internal engine fasteners and wheel lugs where I routinely use a torque wrench.

Tom Powell Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:30 am

Danwvw wrote: One thing that happens on my bus when I have had the CV Joints off and back tight again. Is the CV joint Bolts take turns coming loose over time and it's difficult to get them really tight. Gabriel said he has had this happen too. What is a good solution to that problem?

New Shnorr lock washers. They can be reused once or twice, but new is better than used. Many mechanics consider them a onetime use only item. You may be able to torque the bolt to specs but an old/used washer will not keep it there.

Aloha
tp

Danwvw Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks, I just heard from them they are at a Walmart somewhere probably Lincoln City Oregon and the 1972 Westy won't start this morning. I am wondering if it is charging with that loose belt. Saying the battery seemed full. One of the battery cables was not fitting tight. Not sure what is happening without more info. Probably just need a push to get going.