TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Early to late gauge swap
Thrasher22 Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Other than for appearance reasons, does anyone see a reason why I couldn't swap gauges from an early bay (73) into a later bay (75)? The wiring looks almost identical, and like I just need to find a home for a few grounds.

My gas gauge is friend and my odometer is broken, but I was able to track down earlier gauges locally for a good price.

I tried hooking up the fuel gauge and it read full, which is correct.

If no one knows, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

busdaddy Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:47 pm

If the fuel gauge is for the early non vibrator style sender the gas gauge will jump around like a mofo, aside from that there's no reason it won't work.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm

:D

Thrasher22 Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Did a test hook up last night and everything works! Just need to track down a short that causes it to read full when I turn on my dash lights or high beams. I really like the look of early gauges compared to late ones, love the better turn signal indicators in particular. I'll try and find a way to run right/left separately tonight.

Thanks for the help BusDaddy and hint skillz!

Tcash Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Quote: Just need to track down a short that causes it to read full when I turn on my dash lights or high beams.
May be a bad ground back feeding through the gauge.
Tcash

Thrasher22 Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:18 pm

That's exactly what it ended up being.

Took it for a drive last night and everything seemed to be working normally. No luck with the separate right/left turn indicator, but I'm okay with that.