TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Generator light problems
Quattrokyle Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am

Hey guys...

Having charging problems. Replaced generator. Checked all the connections... Etc. 12v squareback.

Still not getting a charge.

I found that my generator LIGHT is not plugged and connected to the regulator. Could that be the culprit?

blues90 Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 am

Quattrokyle wrote: Hey guys...

Having charging problems. Replaced generator. Checked all the connections... Etc. 12v squareback.

I found that my generator LIGHT is not plugged and connected to the regulator. Could that be the culprit?

I am not sure if the gen light excites the generator to charge or not as it does on an alternator .

It should be connected in an case . If connecting it does not change anything then possible regulator or gen to reg wiring issues.

KTPhil Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 pm

blues90 wrote: Quattrokyle wrote: Hey guys...

I am not sure if the gen light excites the generator to charge or not as it does on an alternator .

It should be connected in an case . If connecting it does not change anything then possible regulator or gen to reg wiring issues.

A generator does not need a dash light to charge.
You may need to polarize the new generator.

blues90 Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:58 pm

KTPhil wrote: blues90 wrote: Quattrokyle wrote: Hey guys...

A generator does not need a dash light to charge.
You may need to polarize the new generator.

I didn't the gen light was anything other than a warning light. I dealt with alternators for a very long time it was the first thing that crossed my mind.

It may need to be polarized if it's been sitting or rebuilt most in these cases do.

Have to wait and see if the poster replies.

Mike Fisher Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 pm

It's probably a bad voltage regulator. :idea: