TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1988 Vanagon Air Conditioning system overhaul
RollFizzlebeef Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello friends,

Never had to work on an A/C system before, but am fairly savvy mechanically, I'm helping my brother in law fix his A/C in his 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg and wondered if there were any good guides out there? Replacing the parts shouldnt be too hard for me - just gotta figure out where they are located and where they run to - but Im not familiar with the procedure for flushing the old system and reloading the new with oil and achieving the recommended pressures, etc.

Right now his cabin is blowing warm air (no cool air) so I suspect a new compressor and recharge are necessary, but also the rooftop system doesnt even turn on when you turn the knob up top, so potentially a failed blower motor perhaps?

Anyway, I'd like to overhaul the whole system with new OEM replacements (compressor, lines, o-rings, condenser, receiver/drier, expansion valve, anything else) from the GoWesty shop. Probably switch over to R134a while I'm at it.

Any advice or links to guides, walkthroughs, videos, etc would be useful. A parts/tools list/sources would also be super helpful. I want to make sure its done right since the last guy did a crap job and now the compressor is full of metal shavings :roll:

djkeev Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Welcome to the site!

This has been extensively covered here, I'll include a link to the FAQ s to help you begin your journey.
Some of the threads are quite lengthy but you will find them enlightening as well.

As a rule "fixing" is rarely financially sound or a long term solution.
Rebuilding is the preferred method of A/C repair on an antique vehicle. The years have taken their toll on the mechanics and the rubber found in the system.
I spent just about $1,000 on parts for my DIY rebuild.

Scroll down to Air Conditioning........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236057#6236057

Dave

Terry Kay Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:29 pm

<<Anyway, I'd like to overhaul the whole system with new OEM replacements (compressor, lines, o-rings, condenser, receiver/drier, expansion valve, anything else) from the GoWesty shop. Probably switch over to R134a while I'm at it.>>

Two small errors here.
(A) you can get most all of the AC system parts either locally, or at any AC supply store.
(B) Skip the 134-A.
Poor performance, real poor cooling characteristics.

(Any advice or links to guides, walkthroughs, videos, etc would be useful.)
Snap On or Mitchells Badic air conditioning traing manual are both the best for evety AC operation guestion you could ever have, and more.
Get one.

<< A parts/tools list/sources would also be super helpful. >>

All listed in detail in both of the manuals mentioned above.
Get one.

<<I want to make sure its done right since the last guy did a crap job and now the compressor is full of metal shavings >>

Order up a compressor & a dryer right up front.
A gallon of Semi truck air line antifreeze ( alcohol) to clean out the rest of the AC system prior to doing anything.
Start out with clean lines & components.

T3 Pilot Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Some manuals available online for reference.....

http://www.ariazone.com/manuals/Automotive%20Air%20Conditioning%20Training%20Manual.pdf

https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls...8QeSq6uQDg