TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I have to ask; Tins + Bed Liner
kevlarian Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Has anyone used bed liner paint (that super tough indestructible paint) to paint their Tins?

I'm thinking they will help with noise, but they might cause heat issues...

discuss

kevlarian Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Follow up... anyone every used bed liner to paint their floor pans (either inside or outside) I think that would eliminate any rusting issues FOREVER.

VERTED71 Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:36 pm

The problem with bedliner is that it will crack and split allowing water and anything else to get in between it and the metal you are trying to protect. I used it on my el camino bed some 5 years ago and it is definitely showing signs of wear and splitting.

Regarding the tins, just powder coat or rattle can any color you like, just make sure they are clean and free of any moisture/oil or flaking paint. Remember your tins are made to allow heat to be drawn away from the motor that's why most only use chrome for show and not for everyday running.

Good luck.

jspbtown Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:25 am

I think the tins are designed to direct airflow over the heads/barrels so I don't think bedliner would cause any issues as long as it could stand up to the heat and would not alter how they fit.

I have coated an entire VW chassis with Herculiner on a Dunebuggy. It looked great.

hitest Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Just plan that anyplace on a beetle you use that stuff it will appear as a cheap, trendy method to coating. Taking it to a pro that does actual bedliner spraying is very different than spray bomb from Walmart.

Chassis and body = great solution for off road.
On the engine tin = worst heat soaking idea ever thought.