TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Added a 3.5qt oil sump/will the 6 small studs be enough....
thresher61 Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Has anyone added the super Sized 3.5qt oil sump to their engine and had any trouble with the 6 little studs that are suppose to hold that big sucker on and not leak?

Seems to me(& I am probably over thinking this), that those little studs just arn't enough to support the weight of all that oil sloshing around in there. Seems with the oil sloshing around in there that, the sump would leak and especially those studs just don't seem like that's enough support for the sump. I am in the process of drawing & designing, cutting(plasma) a 1" band (reduced down to 5/8" for 3/4" then back to 1", anywhere there is a bend), bent to the shape of the sump and bolting it to the tranny support on one side and there is a blank hole just under to the left and right of the crank on each side. I am going to shallow tap some threads about 6-8 if I can get that deep for support on the other side of the engine. I have some high heat 1/16" thick sheet rubber we use in the oil field and cutting 7/8" wide and putting that in between where ever the metal band will touch the sump at. I would just feel safer knowing that the sump is supported by more than just 6 little studs. Just trying to get my feelers out and check other more experienced buggy owners out there and see if they have had a problem out there. Thanks for anyone's info. or advise. I know there is 1 SA in every group I'll just overlook his comment thanks for your advise and your time in advance.

Vanapplebomb Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:59 am

The good news is 1000's of people have proven the six fasteners are enough...

Question is why would you want a big oil sump hanging down off road? Asking for trouble if you ask me. Seen what happens to those when they get snagged at the dunes or trails here in Michigan...it doesn't just ruin the aftermarket sump, usually screws the case badly. If I were you I wouldn't use one for anything but street or strip. :wink:

Sorry, don't mean to shoot down your plans, it's just something you may want to consider before you spend money on something that may be a downgrade.

Dale M. Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Only problem I have had was going over speed bump a little fast and sump hit the bump on the suspension rebound, never broke a stud or ruined the gasket "seal" but actually hairline cracked cast sump and it oozed oil at crack and had to replace it....

If you are worried about raking off sump in "off road" use, you might want to consider "dry sump" system...

Dale

dustymojave Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm

I recommend strongly against using an add-on sump on a VW engine for offroad use.

And as Dale points out above, they're trouble for offroading at the Mall too.

thresher61 Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Vanapplebomb wrote: The good news is 1000's of people have proven the six fasteners are enough...

Question is why would you want a big oil sump hanging down off road? Asking for trouble if you ask me. Seen what happens to those when they get snagged at the dunes or trails here in Michigan...it doesn't just ruin the aftermarket sump, usually screws the case badly. If I were you I wouldn't use one for anything but street or strip. :wink:

Sorry, don't mean to shoot down your plans, it's just something you may want to consider before you spend money on something that may be a downgrade.

This is my first sand Rail/Dune Buggy did t know. Just that AppleTree Auto suggested it so I bought it. Thanks for the update. It is now sitting on my pile of other brand new parts I am not gonna use. Guess they get a commission or something cause they sure saw me coming. Thanks for the education. You just saved me one major headache and a day's worth of having fun. Thanks and have a great day.

B Ramsey Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:36 pm

I run them on both of my sandrails. Just make it so they are protected. Hell, one skid plate was shaped around the sump with mosquito bites where the drain plate studs were located, after a hard weekend...

Vanapplebomb Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:54 pm

thresher61 wrote: Vanapplebomb wrote: The good news is 1000's of people have proven the six fasteners are enough...

This is my first sand Rail/Dune Buggy did t know. Just that AppleTree Auto suggested it so I bought it. Thanks for the update. It is now sitting on my pile of other brand new parts I am not gonna use. Guess they get a commission or something cause they sure saw me coming. Thanks for the education. You just saved me one major headache and a day's worth of having fun. Thanks and have a great day.

Most of the time Appletree is very reasonable. They are local here so I have delt with them a good deal. If you didn't use the sump and you have the sales respite, you can probably work out a return.