TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Parts stores in USA & Canada
mikesbigbeetle Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 am

Hi All

I will be coming to the USA and Canada from the UK with our Kombi soon and wanted to ask a quick question.

In the UK we have a store called GSF in most towns that does Vw parts for classics and a general car parts store called Halfords. Pretty much everything else in online unless you live close to their warehouse.

Could you guys clue me up on what parts places are good, if there are certain stores in most big towns to look out for or big names in certain towns ? :-)

EverettB Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:08 am

Large USA chains here:
NAPA
O'Reillys

There are others too.

They won't necessarily have tons of VW parts in stock though but they can order them in from their warehouses.

Canada I am not sure - Maybe Canadian Tire?

Zack1978 Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:33 am

Well there are also independent parts stores throught the US that specialize in air cooled VW parts (not many left however). There is a great parts store in Stanhope, NJ, RPM Auto Parts. They have more air cooled knowledge than any store I know of at this point in the greater NYC area.

mikesbigbeetle Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:58 am

Perfect guys, exactly the kinda responses I was looking for :-)

Keep em coming :P

hopkin Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 am

John's bug shop in Welland Ontario, near Niagara Falls.

carnut63 Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:27 am

Where are you headed to through the US?

busdaddy Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:11 am

EverettB wrote: Large USA chains here:
NAPA
O'Reillys

There are others too.

They won't necessarily have tons of VW parts in stock though but they can order them in from their warehouses.

Canada I am not sure - Maybe Canadian Tire?
I doubt Canadian tire will have much, thier computers aren't aware that cars were made before 1990, you may find light bulbs, plug wires or spark plugs and maybe a starter if you already know the part numbers.
NAPA has stores all across Canada and are usually knowledgeable enough to dig up the basic tune up parts or brake stuff, but they'll struggle for anything more VW specific.
Lordco here in BC is pretty good as well, sometimes they even have fuel pumps, etc in stock or close by.

Globespotter Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:28 am

For general parts we have NAPA in Canada too. Canadian Tire is ok, but they really expanded so they are almost like Walmart with so many products.

At least places like NAPA focus on car parts.

iowegian Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:59 pm

There still are a few BAP/GEON stores around that specialize in European and Japanese parts.
http://www.bap-geon.com/

Zundfolge1432 Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Advance auto parts. Nationwide chain can access VW parts. I ordered a rebuilt genuine Motorola alternator for less than 60 dollars.

itskyle Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:14 pm

mikesbigbeetle wrote: Hi All

I will be coming to the USA and Canada from the UK with our Kombi soon and wanted to ask a quick question.

In the UK we have a store called GSF in most towns that does Vw parts for classics and a general car parts store called Halfords. Pretty much everything else in online unless you live close to their warehouse.

Could you guys clue me up on what parts places are good, if there are certain stores in most big towns to look out for or big names in certain towns ? :-)

Mid America Motorworks in Effingham, Illinois, a hop, skip, and jump away from US route 66.

I know, I know, they aren't Wolfsburg West, but they are a heck of a lot closer.

to me, at least.

Kyle