TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 63 Deluxe spring plate setting angles
Idaho89 Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Hello - Putting together a big nut tranny to replace the small nut in my 63 deluxe. What are the spring plate setting angles? Does it make any difference that I am replacing the stock small nut with the big nut? Thanks

easy e Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:06 pm

I believe you're not obligated to remove your existing spring plates. oacdp.org says chassis 20-117 902 & up use the same spring plate.
#48 on this page.

Since you apparently haven't taken them out yet...
I've used the installed spring plates... and then made sure there was fresh paint on the steel part just inboard of the spring plates (kinda near the torsion covers).... scribe a line on the fixed part (with weight off the axles/shocks undone). Then you can take the spring plates on & off to your hearts desire... and have an easy reference point for re-mounting.

EverettB Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:10 pm

From this Without Guesswork book
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1965withoutguesswork.php

Page 71

Looks like 20 degrees +/- 30'

If you have a '63 Deluxe and it's a 1500cc Bus you might have the "63 only" small nut transmission and rear end.
Don't throw those parts away, they are hard to find and very close in ratio to a large nut transmission.

Idaho89 Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for the information! It is a 63, however it is a euro model - slash bumpers, bullet signals, etc. I do have the original trans - Do you have numbers or a way of ID it?

easy e Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Post a pic of your M-code plate, on the bulkhead, right behind the passenger's seat back.

EverettB Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Idaho89 wrote: Thanks for the information! It is a 63, however it is a euro model - slash bumpers, bullet signals, etc. I do have the original trans - Do you have numbers or a way of ID it?

If you have done the brakes in the past:
A 1500cc Bus has the later style (64-67 brakes)

Stocknazi Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm

A magnetic angle finder makes setting the spring plate angle much easier.

I found my spring plates had settled over the years and needed a slight increase in the angle (maybe 1-2 degrees). I also removed the torsion bars and re-greased the splines as well as rubbing some dry graphite on the bushings (much better than the talcum powder recommended in Bently).

My bus now sits level side to side and does not squat in the rear like it did before.