TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blaupunkt AM dual voltage radio
Mark Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:40 pm

So a friend of mine was nice enough to set me up with a Blaupunkt AM dual voltage radio for my '64.

I bench tested it and it works, lights up, dials & buttons work, and pulls in radio signals fine. From what I could find, this was originally for a 67/68 Type 1?!
(Mods - If it's a '68 & up please move this thread) Can anyone in the know confirm this? Thanks.

I plan to swap dial knobs with grey ones to match the other dash controls and connect it to a DIN to 1/8" jack converter and have more options than just AM stations.

flyboy161 Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm not sure of the year and I don't speak German

herbie1200 Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:47 pm

Mark: your radio looks like an "all transistor" radio, OK for 68..up. Knobs are similar to window regulator knobs of 68.. beetle.

The ones posted by flyboy161 are "tube" radio, the chassis (not shown in brochure) is tall to contain vertical tubes.

To answer to your question: no, this radio is not correct if you assume that a car should have a radio available in the age of its construction.

But a lot of radios were mounted aftermarket and after some years from the car purchase so the choice is up to you.

My hint: for a US beetle a Motorola, sapphire, etc. radio is the one you should find into a '64, because in the sixties German radios where too expehnsive for the US market (beetle is a 'poor' car) and FM was not popular in US until the 70's.

flyboy161 Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:20 am

True, but this radio also has the CONELRAD markings at 640 and 1240 on the dial. That was no longer a legal requirement after 1963 with the implementation of the Emergency Broadcast System. There is a possibility that is a Porsche 356 radio. Are there any markings on it anywhere?

Mark Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 am

I don't have it in front of me at work, but the white decal on the side reads Y 7 637 150, with a serial number below that. It also reads Blaupunkt with some other German writing on it.

KTPhil Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:44 am

Those look like '67 Bug knobs.
I think the Conelrad dial markings continued after '63 on many radios that used older model dials for a few more years.
There are websites dedicated to old car radios. Googling model numbers might also give hits.

Erik G Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 am

there should be a tag on the side, with the model name and serial number. thet will tell you the age

as for Porsche / VW - no. These were aftermarket and/or dealer sold. You just bought what you wanted and was in your budget. Quite often right after making your last payment

Mark Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for the replies.

Phil, that's what I found after a few minutes Googling. Best guess indicates it's from a '67. It might as well be, to go with the '67 only generator in there :)

*edit* Erik, there is no model name on the decal, only a series of numbers and where it was made. I know what you mean, as I've had Blaupunkt radios that had the name on the decal, (Hamburg, Frankfurt, etc).

flyboy161 Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:57 am

That should be a series Y 7 637 150 Manhattan radio used in German imports from 67-68

Period correct for a 67. If the knobs bother you change them to something that matches your car. Still a cool piece and with a RediRad will play FM or MP3 at 10 on the dial.

herbie1200 Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:14 am

CONELRAD... very interesting.

tasb Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:28 am

I had a loaner 1968 Beetle some years ago that had that radio in it. You're in the correct ball park here.

fly2kads Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:26 pm

For future reference, Everett compiled this list of Blaupunkt date codes some time back:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

I found it very helpful recently...perhaps it will be to others, as well.

camfella04 Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 am

I recently got myself one of these radios. How do I connect it up to test it?

My knowledge is pretty limited...I looked at the original picture and see a yellow wire (I have a yellow wire) attached to what I would believe to be a power source, no?

I also recently got an Automatic Radio of Canada Ltd. (Model WP-2289 Series P) that I am trying to test.

All help is greatly appreciated!

rcooled Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:57 pm

camfella04 wrote: I recently got myself one of these radios. How do I connect it up to test it?
That radio probably only has three connections on the rear...one wire for power, one output for the speaker (which could be either a twin-lead wire or a plug-in jack) and a jack for the antenna. The yellow wire is most likely the power connection. To bench-test it, just hook up a speaker, an antenna, and a power source to match how the radio is set up (either 6V or 12V).

Here's a website for info on Blaupunkt radios:
http://derwhites356literature.com/DerWhitesBlaupunktRadios.html

If you need to have your radio repaired, check out Radioman in San Diego CA, or Electro-Tech in Blaine MN. You should be aware that fixing a non-working vintage car radio isn't cheap. Expect to pay around $250 to put yours right again if you find that it doesn't play. Sometimes it's more cost effective to just buy another radio that already works.
http://www.radiomanrepair.com/
http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

camfella04 Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks rcooled, greatly appreciated.